How to drive Large Piezo Element with 12v VIN on UNO

Breakout boards, sensors, other Adafruit kits, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
MavenScout

How to drive Large Piezo Element with 12v VIN on UNO

Post by MavenScout »

I have an UNO R3 powered thru the barrel jack with 12v. I am also using the Proto-Screwshield with a L293D driving 2 (12v) motors, and I am driving the Large Piezo Element with digital pins 2 (-) and 3 (+) to play an alarm sound. All works great except volume.

My question is how do I utilize the 12v power from VIN to drive the Piezo instead of the 5v from pin 3?

dastels

Re: How to drive Large Piezo Element with 12v VIN on UNO

Post by dastels »

Assuming the Piezo can handle 12v, a transistor (and biasing resistor) should do the job. See https://learn.adafruit.com/transistors-101 for more info. Specifically the example of driving a 12v LED strip from a 3.3v board should be of use: https://learn.adafruit.com/transistors- ... -3001921-1.

Dave

MavenScout

Post by MavenScout »

Thanks for the quick response dastels. Yes the Piezo can handle 12v. That's why it isn't loud enough currently being driven by only 5v from the digital pin.

I am not really interested in getting more voltage out of the 5v pin I am currently using, I'm wondering how I can divert some of the 12v VIN supply I already have supplying a L293D, a motor and an actuator from the Proto-Screwshield (stacked on the UNO). Which has lots of space to add a couple of components, as you suggested, but I'd rather utilize the generous 12v supply I already have than triple the amperage the Piezo uses from pin 3. This project is going to be used in the Arizona heat, up to 115° in full sun, for hours on end. Although everything is rated for 150°, the less heat the better.

I suspect digital pin 3 is using PWM to generate the "tones" I am using from the TONE() advanced I/O function. I was wondering if there is a way to "effectively" create a 12v PWM pin for the function to use. Or am I going to have to spring for some sort of a sound board to get there?

dastels

Post by dastels »

You use the 5v logic signal from the GPIO pin to control a transistor that switches the 12v to the piezo. Read the guide I linked.

Dave

MavenScout

Post by MavenScout »

Having read through the guide front to back in one sitting, my non-electrical-engineer 70yo brain is in pain. However, I think I learned something.

If I am understanding this properly, I can supply 12v to one end of the TIP120, the other end plugged into the Piezo, drive it with digital pin 3 and the Piezo will be non-the-wiser.

Am I close?

dastels

Post by dastels »

In a manner of speaking, yes. Think of it as hydrolics... a little bit of force controls a large amount of force. In this case, a little bit of current (the voltage is immaterial as long as it's at least 1.6v; the bias resistor takes care of that detail) can control a different/more voltage/current. The transistor here is acting like a switch that's controllable with a small signal (e.g. from a MCU pin).

There's a more detailed (i.e. inner workings) article I did for HackSpace Magazine issue 13 https://hackspace.raspberrypi.org/downl ... eMag13.pdf

Dave

MavenScout

Post by MavenScout »

Thanks Dave.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Products from Adafruit”