what wav format does the sound fx board require?

Breakout boards, sensors, other Adafruit kits, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
blicken

what wav format does the sound fx board require?

Post by blicken »

I have an adafruit sound fx board, audio output jack, 16MB I think. I uploaded 6.2MB of audio files just fine. The format is 16bit stereo wav files.
when I short the IO pins to gnd, nothing happens. I have it hooked up to my powered audio amplifier. I'm just wondering what I'm doing wrong.
I can play the audio files from the filesystem, so it would seem they uploaded just fine.

I tried renaming the files Tnn.WAV and Tnn.wav. that didn't work. so then I tried reimaging the device, and trying both WAV and wav file extensions. still nothing.

dastels

Re: what wav format does the sound fx board require?

Post by dastels »

blicken

Post by blicken »

yeah, I've been following the tutorial, but it doesnt work.
in the off chance my board was messed up, I ordered another one, this time, the version with an integrated amp. the case is the same:
I plug the thing in, it beeps, and then grnounding any of the terminals never produces a sound. I am very confused.

cosined

Post by cosined »

Hi blicken, to get the Sound Board to operate the default way (i.e. not using the more complex serial communication), you have to name the files following a specific structure. I wonder if you literally renamed the files to literally be "Tnn.ogg" or "Tnn.wav". You don't ACTUALLY name them that. It won't work. Those are just placeholder template names. You need to name them "T01.ogg" or "T08.wav" for example, based on whatever the actual pins you use are. You also have to name them using the right file format for the specific file (.wav or .ogg).

Outside of that, you need to externally power the Sound Board according to one of the ways described on this page:
https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-aud ... owering-it

You can't power it through your computer USB port using the cable you send the files to it with. You have to use one of the other ways described on the page to power it.

If the board isn't powered, it won't be turned on to send the sound waves to the powered audio amp in your first post or the connected speaker in your latest post.

Hope this helps!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Products from Adafruit”