Adafruit H3LIS331 Generating Jibberish!

Breakout boards, sensors, other Adafruit kits, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Mininev

Adafruit H3LIS331 Generating Jibberish!

Post by Mininev »

Hi everyone,

This is my first post, so please be gentle if I haven't included enough information (or, more likely, have given waaaay too much information but of the wrong type)!

Essentially I bought an Adafruit H3LIS331 high-G accelerometer and an Arduino Nano 33 BLE board to use with it along with some simple cables to connect the two. I soldered headers on to them both, connected as per the I2C instructions, uploaded the plotter test program to the board and away we went! Beautiful graphs were aplenty allowing me to test my application of determining the rate of deceleration of an object when dropped onto different foams.

This worked beautifully for a while, and I threw the accelerometer (taped to a big metal weight) onto the floor with merry abandon for a few days collecting data as I went. However, one of the drops went a little wrong and the weight toppled onto the headers, bending them out of alignment and killing any data collection. I tried to fix it to no avail, so instead went back and bought some more parts (and a cage to protect them) ready for round 2.

This time however I opted for a Maker Nano as it was cheaper and if it did break that would be less of a blow to the pocket. Now, however, when I upload the exact same program to the board (using the 'Arduino nano' board manager this time), it gives nonsense as below:
11:27:04.032 -> ⸮Q⸮Y⸮X⸮⸮⸮⸮Q⸮K⸮⸮Q⸮Q⸮>⸮⸮⸮-⸮A⸮P ⸮⸮⸮⸮⸮ ⸮⸮⸮⸮Q⸮⸮⸮kI⸮⸮⸮⸮o⸮Q⸮I⸮⸮⸮⸮⸮m⸮⸮ipQ⸮Y⸮Y⸮H⸮⸮>⸮⸮l⸮⸮[⸮⸮⸮Q⸮⸮{⸮A⸮ ⸮J⸮M⸮A⸮⸮A⸮⸮⸮⸮⸮⸮A⸮¬⸮J⸮m⸮⸮⸮M⸮>⸮⸮⸮⸮⸮⸮e⸮Q⸮⸮⸮

Could anyone please advise as to what might be causing this? I have tried buying an Arduino nano every aswell just in case it was the unofficial board causing the issue, but exact same result. I am one hell of a noob so haven't the foggiest idea where to start.

Any advice would be hugely appreciated, thanks!

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Adafruit H3LIS331 Generating Jibberish!

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

That looks like a baud-rate mismatch. Make sure that the baud-rate setting in you SerialMonitor matches the number in the Serial.begin() in your sketch.

Mininev

Post by Mininev »

adafruit_support_bill wrote:That looks like a baud-rate mismatch. Make sure that the baud-rate setting in you SerialMonitor matches the number in the Serial.begin() in your sketch.
Yes! This was exactly the issue - it is now working and we are rolling again! :D Thank you so much; I'm sure to you this is an unbelievably obvious and simple fix, but I was so out of my depth already that this really helped me. Thanks so much :)

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Good to hear you are running again. Thanks for the update.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Products from Adafruit”