USB/PS2 KEYBOARD NOT WORKING WITH PS2

Breakout boards, sensors, other Adafruit kits, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
bpenaflor

USB/PS2 KEYBOARD NOT WORKING WITH PS2

Post by bpenaflor »

I am having an issue with the mini usb/ps2 keyboard and ps2 adapter that I just received. It doesn't appear to be working in PS2 mode. It does however work when connected to USB. I am trying to connect this to an FPGA project that has a PS/2 module interface written in verilog. The exact same setup works for a different PS2 keyboard that I have. I would like to get this to work with the mini keyboard that I just bought from you. The problem must be in the mini keyboard itself. Some how it is not switching to PS/2 mode when I plug it into my project via the USB to PS/2 adapter that it came with and the PS/2 breakout cable that I also purchased from you. I plugged both the clock and trigger lines to an oscilloscope but couldn't see anything registering at all. Again, if I just swap out the key board and keep everything else the same, I see the typical outputs on the scope that would be expected when the PS/2 keys are depressed. So the problem must be in the mini keyboard. Any suggestions for how I can get this to work, or is this just a faulty keyboard. I'd really like to get this to work since it is a good fit for this FPGA project.

adafruit_support_carter

Re: USB/PS2 KEYBOARD NOT WORKING WITH PS2

Post by adafruit_support_carter »

Is the other keyboard PS2 only? It may have something to do with the automatic mode changing feature of the USB/PS2 keyboard.

And just to check - you're using the included USB to PS2 adapter?

bpenaflor

Post by bpenaflor »

Hi, yes the other keyboard that works is PS2 only, and yes I am including the usb/ps2 adapter when connecting the adafruit mini keyboard.

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

dunno what to say, we haven't changed the keyboard and it works with the arduino PS2 library
if you cant use it, email support@adafruit for a refund, but we dont have any insight particularly as you're using an FPGA

bpenaflor

Post by bpenaflor »

I have an Arduino Uno. I will give this keyboard a try using it and the PS2 library that you mentioned. If I find that it still doesn't work with the Arduino, I think that would point to the keyboard being bad. If that is the case may I request a replacement rather than a refund instead?

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

sure its worth trying with an UNO

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Products from Adafruit”