Powerboost 1000 SEVERELY overheating

Breakout boards, sensors, other Adafruit kits, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
cmdrshorty

Powerboost 1000 SEVERELY overheating

Post by cmdrshorty »

I purchased the Powerboost 1000 ( https://www.adafruit.com/product/2465 ) on Sept. 23rd, 2021, and received it the 29th along with a 4400maH Li-Po battery (18650) and a JST push on/off button. Used the Powerboost to charge the battery the night I received and it was fine. Now today, Oct. 28th, I went to charge the battery a second time (battery nor Powerboost had been on a charging cord since the first time) for my kid's costume and it got SEVERELY hot within seconds. I don't recall it getting this hot this fast the first time. The Powerboost had been sitting on computer desk since the first time I used it.

Nothing indicates there's any damage to it nor any debris causing a short. When I plug the battery in, the red light by the JST plug flickers very rapidly as well as the blue PWR light near the standard USB solder points. (I have NOT installed that as I didn't plan on using it.) When plugging in a micro USB charging cord, the yellow and green lights near the micro USB port stay fully lit, but the previous mentioned lights are off. (I think this is normal.) No matter the power source, the whole thing gets way too hot to touch; even the sides of the board where there's no current. (I should mention, the USB charger I used was the same for both times.)

I'm assuming this isn't normal is it? My finger tips feel like they briefly touched a hot pan. Let me know if there's any additional information that's needed.

dastels

Re: Powerboost 1000 SEVERELY overheating

Post by dastels »

I've had that happen if I accidentally plugged in the micro USB without a battery connected. But other than that... they get hot but not like then. I don't know if this applies to your situation.

Dave

cmdrshorty

Post by cmdrshorty »

dastels wrote:I've had that happen if I accidentally plugged in the micro USB without a battery connected. But other than that... they get hot but not like then. I don't know if this applies to your situation.

Dave
Yeah... nothing like that unfortunately. I plugged in just the battery and it got super hot. Just the micro USB, super hot. Both, super hot. I think I narrowed it down to the little black chip right by the micro USB. Found what looks like a burn line underneath the board, but it's outlined following some circuit connections way too cleanly so not sure if it's a burn or part of the board design.

dastels

Post by dastels »

Yeah, do not use it without a battery connected. It does not take kindly to that. Odd for it to just not work now. But that's usually the way of it... if it's going to fail it will do so fairly quickly.

Please email [email protected] with a link to this thread, your order number, and request the replacement of one Powerboost 1000C.

Just an FYI, this is the PowerBoost 1000C. There is also a PowerBoost 1000 that does not include the charger.

Dave

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Products from Adafruit”