MG90D Rotating Range

Breakout boards, sensors, other Adafruit kits, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
dont_ask_why

MG90D Rotating Range

Post by dont_ask_why »

On the website https://www.adafruit.com/product/1143 it states that the survo rotates around 90 degrees.
I found those available to me to turn around 160 degrees (80 on each side).
Is that unexpected behaviour or regular when adjusting the pulse widths?

What would be servo motors combarable in size and torque but able to turn the full 180 degrees?
A MG90S would have a similar enouh size and torque but does it have the 180 degrees of rotating range?

Neither the Tower Pro website nor servodatabase.com give data on the rotating range for the mentioned servos.

I have also confirmed that the servos I have are indeed legitimate MG90D by Tower Pro and not clones of the MG90D or MG90S.

adafruit_support_carter

Re: MG90D Rotating Range

Post by adafruit_support_carter »

In general, all servos of this type are 90 degree range. They operate on a 50Hz pulse width signal with duty cycle between 1ms and 2ms.

It's just that pretty much all servos will continue to rotate and respond for duty cycles outside this range. And typically for quite a fair distance - extending the range out to 180deg.

Linear behavior should only be assumed for the 1ms-2ms 90deg range.

dont_ask_why

Post by dont_ask_why »

Thanks for the precise answer.

Which type would I have to look at for 180 degrees of rotation? I would expect ones larger in size or more expensive?
Maybe you can give me some recommendations, I feel like I am out of my depth here.

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

You don't necessarily need to go bigger. In my experience the micro-servos I have used from HiTec and Futaba all swing the full 180 degrees.

dont_ask_why

Post by dont_ask_why »

Futaba and HiTec seem quite a bit more expensive.

I found the Tower Pro MG92B on the Adafruit Shop (https://www.adafruit.com/product/2307).
It says 180 degrees of rotation, is that generally achievable?
I think I can forgive nonlinearity if I can reach the full 180 degrees of rotation.

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

I have a couple of the MG92Bs here. One easily swings past 180. The other does about 175. Tower servos are a great value, but I've found the performance to vary considerably from lot-to-lot.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Products from Adafruit”