Mini Analog Joystick

Breakout boards, sensors, other Adafruit kits, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Clickamouse

Mini Analog Joystick

Post by Clickamouse »

Can you remove the springs from the Mini Analog Joystick Product ID: 3102 so that it remains where you set it?

Thanks...Mike

dastels

Re: Mini Analog Joystick

Post by dastels »

On the product page it does say
You could replace the springs if you want a stronger or weaker spring-back force.
so they can certainly be removed entirely. However, I have no idea whether there's enough friction to have it stay in place.

Dave

originalwarby

Post by originalwarby »

I recently received one of these and tried releasing the spring. It does stay put - mostly.

If you are near the end of travel, the rubber boot thingy on top that acts as a seal for dust/spills does provide some resistance such that if you move the joystick to the end of travel and then let go, the boot will push it back ~5-10 degrees.

It looks like you could trim the boot off carefully but of course, you wouldn't have a seal anymore.

HTH

Warby

I took a picture of the spring - one of the axis has been removed for a different purpose so don't be alarmed by the missing parts :)
Screen Shot 2022-01-07 at 2.18.52 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-01-07 at 2.18.52 PM.png (666.64 KiB) Viewed 136 times

originalwarby

Post by originalwarby »

Here's a different question, I would love to use this joystick with an Apple ii Plus that I recently resurrected. The Apple ii requires 150k Ohm potentiometers and this comes with 10k potentiometers. I was able to disassemble the joystick complete including removing the potentiometer without having to cut/break anything (excellent design for tinkering with the joystick).

But I'm having trouble tracking down the manufacture of the potentiometer itself to source the 150k Ohm version. The only marking I can find is "B10K-50 (degree symbol)".

Looking at digi-key and similar, there are just too many options to filter effectively.

Anyone know how to find the source? Here are a couple of photos:
pot1.png
pot1.png (636.28 KiB) Viewed 135 times
pot2.png
pot2.png (543.77 KiB) Viewed 135 times

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Products from Adafruit”