Push button Power Switch Breakout - Only Turns On

Breakout boards, sensors, other Adafruit kits, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
ryanaross

Push button Power Switch Breakout - Only Turns On

Post by ryanaross »

Hello! I am fairly new to small electronics/soldering and I am using the Push button Power Switch Breakout (https://www.adafruit.com/product/1400) In a project powered by a Li-On 18650 battery. I have a pretty simple problem (to understand, no idea if there is a solution), and I was hoping someone could look at a few photos and tell me if I have done something obviously wrong.

I can push the button, and it instantly turns on, and the red light appears. 5V can be measured on the In. But pushing the button a second time, or many times, never turns it off again. If I send 5V down the "Off", it will turn off, but the way my project is setup, it would be much better to allow someone to turn it back off with a second push of the button. According to the description that should work.

Even including a little video: https://imgur.com/YPR95sV

Open to any suggestions! Thanks
Attachments
PXL_20211205_015041618.MP.jpg
PXL_20211205_015041618.MP.jpg (307.78 KiB) Viewed 140 times
PXL_20211205_014957813.jpg
PXL_20211205_014957813.jpg (304.18 KiB) Viewed 140 times

rpiloverbd

Re: Push button Power Switch Breakout - Only Turns On

Post by rpiloverbd »

What you have described should not be the case. This is a toggle switch. And if you have connected it according to Adafruit's video, it must go off with a second click. What about sending an e-mail to their warranty support team? Who knows, may be the product has a problem? (Quite unusual with Adafruit products though.) Also check if there is any unwanted short circuit in the breakout board.

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Looks like some cold solder joints on the switch there. A marginal electrical connection could be causing that problem. Have a look at this guide for some tips on identifying and repairing common soldering issues:
https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-gui ... n-problems

ryanaross

Post by ryanaross »

It was indeed a bad solder it seems. I didn't think it was that simple, because I tried just shorting the button contacts using a wire and that still didn't work to turn it off.

But I tested it again after each re-solder and once I actually added solder to the top of the board, where the button contacts meet the board, it now works great.

Attached a photo of the completed project! It is powered by an 18650, allows selection of a circuitpython LED routine with the two small buttons, and will shut itself off after 3 hours.
Attachments
PXL_20211205_193010525.jpg
PXL_20211205_193010525.jpg (459.52 KiB) Viewed 120 times

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Good to hear that is working for you now. Nice looking build!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Products from Adafruit”