Mini Thermal Printer Problems

Breakout boards, sensors, other Adafruit kits, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
GinGimlets

Mini Thermal Printer Problems

Post by GinGimlets »

After a few problems getting the package updates to download on my RPi 4, I managed to get the printer Added to my computer and get the Zijiand ZJ-58 file downloaded and into my Print Settings.

I used this guide below
https://learn.adafruit.com/networked-th ... e-printer

using the code from the guide i can get the printer to print 'This is a test' from the terminal, However the bitmap image code provided does not print out properly, only Random Ascii characters as below
RiPiLogoFromTerminal2.jpg
RiPiLogoFromTerminal2.jpg (696.18 KiB) Viewed 204 times
Printing a Test Page from the Print Setting GUI results in only one short line that's so faint i cant read it. Holding down the printer button as I attach the power (either attached to the Pi or not) Does not print a test page but only repeats this until i let the button go.
1stTestLineFromTerminal.jpg
1stTestLineFromTerminal.jpg (727 KiB) Viewed 204 times
The self test that came from the factory looked although a little weak, still as though everything was fine but at no point have i been able to get it to produce a simialr test, even before i plugged it into the Pi and i was just powering it on it produced the above print only.

It is a Mini Thermal printer powered by the recommended female DC Power connector with a 5V adaptor- Having read previous topics on this forum about the printer and people changing power sources having some effect I also tried powering from the Ground & 5V pins on an Arduino plugged into a USB Plug, but ended up with even less printing happening.

I'm sorry i hope that all makes sense. I've tried to provide as much information that i can think of. If anyone has any advice I'd be very grateful but I'm a bit worried as I can't get the unit to work properly even without code that i may have a faulty unit.

Thank you very much for your time.

tdubb13

Re: Mini Thermal Printer Problems

Post by tdubb13 »

Be sure to use the command line raspi-config
sudo raspi-config
got to interfaces and then go into the serial interface and make sure serial shell access is disabled. You only want the serial hardware enabled.
*If you use the gui raspi-config it enables both.

This will cause garbage in your prints.

I hope that helps.

GinGimlets

Re: Mini Thermal Printer Problems

Post by GinGimlets »

Thank you very much! I think I might have done this when I first tried to get it running but I will double check and follow your advice and see what happens. Thanks for you help :)

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Products from Adafruit”