Lipoly D+/D-: What info can I monitor?

Breakout boards, sensors, other Adafruit kits, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
soul170

Lipoly D+/D-: What info can I monitor?

Post by soul170 »

Hi there,

I'm using the Micro-lipo Lipoly battery charger with USB-C for a project. I see there are data lines on the charger. What type of data is accessible via these lines? What I'd like to know (digitally) is if the charger is charging. I know there is a status LED on the charger but wondering if there is a way to query the charger and have the connected chip (a Gemma m0) respond based on the data.

Thanks in advance.

Jason

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Lipoly D+/D-: What info can I monitor?

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

The data pins on the USB jack are not connected.

soul170

Post by soul170 »

Apologies, I'm just trying to understand...you said the data pins are not connected? What are their purposes then?

Thanks,

Jason

adafruit_support_bill

A USB C connector has several pins in addition to VBUS and GND. All connectors have all the pins, but not all devices implement all functions on all pins of the of the USB interface. Chargers only supply power, so they only have connections to VBUS and GND.

soul170

Post by soul170 »

Interesting. Again, I'm just trying to learn. You are saying the D+/D- pins have been included on the charger but aren't functional. In contrast, the video describing the product (https://www.adafruit.com/product/4410) mentions adding the D+/D- lines as requested and the lines being available to a project. Was this misstated?

Thanks again.

Jason

adafruit_support_bill

Those are breakout holes for the pins on the USB connector only. You can use them to communicate with whatever is at the other end of your USB cable. But they are not connected to the charge controller chip on the board. The charge controller chip has no native USB support and only connects to GND and VBUS to charge the attached LiPo.

soul170

Post by soul170 »

Ahhhh...I see. So in my case, my lipoly battery plugs into the charger, the JST cable on my charger plugs into/powers my Gemma m0, and the usb c port on the charger can be used as an alternate charging option. Like some usb cables (that allow for both power and data), the D+/D- pins on the charger act as the data feature, whereas the usb port is for power. Did I get that right?

Thanks again!

Jason

adafruit_support_bill

That is correct. The data pins are available for connection as they would be on a data cable. They just don't interact with the charger function.

soul170

Post by soul170 »

Thank you, again; I really appreciate it. I'm really trying to learn the ins n' outs of these products and related code so that I can then adequately support my ideas. Thank you for your patience and quick response.

Best,

Jason

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Products from Adafruit”