An idea for a new board ?

Breakout boards, sensors, other Adafruit kits, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
lemiceterrieux

An idea for a new board ?

Post by lemiceterrieux »

Hello again. Adafruit already makes sound PLAYING boards. Why wouldn't You develop a sound (speech) RECOGNITION board ? I tested ALL existing systems, with various issues. Maybe that something NEW could be interesting !

Disciple

Re: An idea for a new board ?

Post by Disciple »

Hello. Fellow customer here. Speech recognition is a tall challenge, usually done in the cloud. Adafruit has a few products that attempt it at the edge, through machine learning. Search for products under the keyword "tensorflow" and some of them will link to speech recognition projects in the learning system.
I've tried the EdgeBadge sketch out of the box, and the more closely I imitate LadyAda's voice, the better it responds. Your mileage may vary. Just my two cents.

Hallelujah!
Disciple

rpiloverbd

Post by rpiloverbd »

Hi there, what are some good speech recognition modules in your opinion? I used 'elechouse' once upon a time. It could not recognize my voice well.

lemiceterrieux

Post by lemiceterrieux »

I tested Easy VR3 (both in SD and SI mode), and Elechouse's two modules (SD and SI), none was really satisfying for my application. In SI mode it is difficult to get an adequate threshold on Easy VR3, and with Elechouse it is impossible ; either they are sensitive to ambient noise, or they reject too many words. The SD module by Elechouse has only 7 simultaneous words, ans I need 8 ; and Easy VR3 wrote several times when I connected it to PC that the memory had been corrupted (maybe it was defective or was it a bad operation by me ? ). Finally Mikroe's Speak-Up (SD) is not recognised for initialization as an USB device under W7 x64 pro (I saw on their forum that I was not alone with this issue). And I found on the net (Ali) a device where no manual was available, and which seemed to be out of stock at the manufacturer since 5 years at least. Forget LD3320, I wonder if it is able to recognize another language but Chinese, and programming seems very difficult. Sorry, I cannot be more "positive" ... :)

rpiloverbd

Post by rpiloverbd »

Thanks a lot for your honest review. Actually, voice recognition is a quite complex procedure. I hope Adafruit will come up with a better solution for us someday.

lemiceterrieux

Post by lemiceterrieux »

And I forgot the HM2007-based SR-07, whose price is HORRIBLE (~ $137 unassembled and $184 assembled) and the Audeme MOVI which is Arduino dedicated (I use a DIY Board) and needs 7 V power, which are not available in my application. And thanks for Your answers !

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Products from Adafruit”