Funhouse crashed after 2 days – debug method?

Breakout boards, sensors, other Adafruit kits, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Shaunsail

Funhouse crashed after 2 days – debug method?

Post by Shaunsail »

I am running a funhouse using a usb power cable. My program crashed after two days, while there are some messages on the screen not quite enough. If I pull the USB to plug it into my computer, I lose the messages. Is there a way to access errors (on crash device) via Wi-Fi/Bluetooth? Are they persisted in a log that I can access after I power back on?

only slightly related. is there a way to write variable to a persistent location on a Huzzah32 that can be read back in after power up (failure recovery). I guess I can write to a file on the funhouse, not sure how?

Shaunsail

Re: Funhouse crashed after 2 days – debug method?

Post by Shaunsail »

The error appears to relate to the ads1015 library. Not sure.
Attachments
DF2BA56C-86E7-4C3F-B887-CD2A87B6FDA0.jpeg
DF2BA56C-86E7-4C3F-B887-CD2A87B6FDA0.jpeg (378.81 KiB) Viewed 96 times

Shaunsail

Post by Shaunsail »

I have bought a second fun house, ads1015 and CT clamp and loaded the same code and libraries. I have placed them side by side. The new one has not crashed. The difference is the cable they are sampling. It is possible that a spike may cause a high input voltage to the ADS. How can I tell if the library code is resilient to the ADC maxing out. The files are .mpy

The original post was how to look at the errors. If I plug it into my pc it goes to sleep and the funhouse shuts down. If I power via usb. I can not access via pc. So it there a way to write out to a log. And or connect via wifi to see logs/crashes?

Shaunsail

Post by Shaunsail »

I put both clamps on the neutral and now both system have run ok for a few days. Interesting they are not give exactly the same results.
The original cable I was monitoring is for an ac unit. I suspect that there are big spikes that are putting the ADC out of range causing the program to crash.
If can fix with a zener and low pass filter but would interested to know how the ads1015 code deals with over range.

Shaunsail

Post by Shaunsail »

I have found that although I have used a function and various ways to try and delete or reuse the collections array the memory is not releases. So after about 10 passes there is no free memory and garbage collector runs. To make it more controlled I run cg.collect after each loop this works but program still crashes after a few days. Difficult to debug

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Products from Adafruit”