USB C Jack Panel Mount 4259 does not work with USB-C cable

Breakout boards, sensors, other Adafruit kits, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
moe_

USB C Jack Panel Mount 4259 does not work with USB-C cable

Post by moe_ »

Hi,

I bought one of these USB C Jack to USB A Jack Round Panel Mount Adapters (Product ID: 4259).
Unfortunately it doesn't work when using USB-C to USB-C cables.
Whether host or client is on the USB C or USB A side seems not to matter. It only works when using a USB-A to USB-C cable.

As an example: When connecting a phone charger with USB-C outlet to a phone via an USB-C to USB-C cable, the phone wont charge (Charger USB-C outlet <-> USB-C to USB-C cable <-> Adapter USB-C to USB-A <-> USB-A to USB-C cable <-> USB-C Phone port). Same thing happens if changer and phone are on reverse sides or when using other devices. There will be no power on the adapter's USB-A port when connected with a USB-C to USB-C cable on the USB-C side.

The phone will charge when using a USB-A charger and a USB-A to USB-C cable.

Is this adapter broken? It seems a proper USB-C to USB-A adapter should provide power on the USB-A port when its correctly supplied to the USB-C port and I couldn't find anything related to this behavior on the product page https://www.adafruit.com/product/4259

Thanks.

mikeysklar

Re: USB C Jack Panel Mount 4259 does not work with USB-C cab

Post by mikeysklar »

I suspect #4259 is not passing power due to a USB spec issue. This thread sheds some light on #4260 and #4056 needing a legacy USB-A 2.0 cable or 5.1ohm resistors on the CC pins to pass power.

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=180995

moe_

Post by moe_ »

Thanks for your reply. That seems to be same issue I am having.

So what are my options here? Is there a way to fix this problem without disassembling the adapter? Is there maybe a new revision of the adapter or a similar adapter without this issue?

I really like the adapter for my project which is basically a raspberry pi in an enclosure. However, always using a USB-A cable is not a solution for me.

mikeysklar

Post by mikeysklar »

We can offer you a refund or you can mod what you have as the "solution" thread shows.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Products from Adafruit”