Defective Adafruit Audio FX Sound Board

Breakout boards, sensors, other Adafruit kits, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
smithmike

Defective Adafruit Audio FX Sound Board

Post by smithmike »

I received my Product ID 2220 (Order ID 2840481-9590897877) and I tried 4 different Micro USB cables on my Mac and Windows computers, and neither computer recognize the device as a drive. And, the red light never turns off.

What can be done about this issue?
Attachments
adafruit.jpeg
adafruit.jpeg (414.95 KiB) Viewed 218 times

adafruit_support_carter

Re: Defective Adafruit Audio FX Sound Board

Post by adafruit_support_carter »

Please double check the USB cables with something else to verify they can move data and are not charge only USB cables.

smithmike

Post by smithmike »

I just tried the cable that I use with my Kindle, and it worked correctly with the Kindle for accessing files, but the Audio FX Sound Board still will not be acknowledge by my OS, and the red light stays on. Do I have to connect additional power to it? Or a switch? It should just read as a drive using the Micro USB cable, correct?

adafruit_support_carter

It should just read as a drive using the Micro USB cable, correct?
Yep, it should. There's just an unfortunately large amount of bad USB cables out there.

When you plug it in, does the computer respond at all? Make the noise that "something was plugged in"? etc

smithmike

Post by smithmike »

No sounds and no indication of a new drive. I even go to Disk Utility on the Mac and Disk Management in Windows, and neither program shows any drives. I see the other drives. I know sometimes a drive can be plugged in and not show in Finder (on Mac) or Windows Explorer, so I always check Disk Utility and Disk Management.

smithmike

Post by smithmike »

Can someone please direct me on how to get a replacement for this defective board. This is my first purchase from Adafruit, and so far I am not impressed with the quality of the product nor the quality of the service. Waiting so many days to get this resolved is keeping me from moving forward with my project.

Thanks,

Mike

adafruit_support_carter

Sorry for the lag. Let's just replace it. Send an email to [email protected] with a link to this thread and your order number and they can send you a replacement Audio FX Board.

smithmike

Post by smithmike »

Thank you. I have submitted my request for a replacement order. To confirm before I receive the replacement, when it arrives, I should only need to connect the USB cable from the board to my computer and the computer should recognize it, correct? There is nothing special I need to do before using the board, correct?

adafruit_support_carter

Yep. It should. There's still a chance things like virus protection and other 3rd party software can cause interference issues. But it should still be obvious (connect sounds, pop up messages, etc.) that the PC at least sees the board and is trying to do something.

smithmike

Post by smithmike »

I wanted to report that I received the new board, all is working perfectly. No issues at all. Thank you for your help and replacement so that I may move forward with my project.

Sincerely,

Mike

adafruit_support_carter

Yay! Glad nothing else got in the way and it just worked. Thanks for letting us know.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Products from Adafruit”