Differences between PDM Mic boards ...

Breakout boards, sensors, other Adafruit kits, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
sealyon

Differences between PDM Mic boards ...

Post by sealyon »

I'm looking for a PDM Mic input board and notice that you have 3 different options (#3421, #3492 and #2716). Not clear exactly what the differences are between these. Can someone please explain the differences?

I'd like something that covers the most audio frequencies and something that can connect to an Arduino Nano RP2040 Connect. I believe the 2040 doesn't have hardware I2S, so I'd have to use some type of PIO implementation. Does anyone have any info to share on how to set this up? I'm also not sure if I'd be using the PIO system for other Interfacing. I know this is a general question but can the PIO system handle multiple uses simultaneously? The RP2040 Connect also has a u-blox Nina W102 processor to handle Wifi & BLE which also supports I2S HW integration. But not sure if there are any access points on the Connect for bringing the PDW info to that processor. And not sure how I could program that processor separately from the RP2040. Guess I could also try using a separate ESP32 Wifi, which has I2S HW support natively, but I'd need a way to pass the recorded data between the peocessors. Appreciate any help anyone can provide. Thanks.

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Differences between PDM Mic boards ...

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

They aren't all PDM mics.. only pid 3492 is.

PID 3421 communicates with a computer using I2S.. a high-speed digital interface used by audio devices.

PID 2716 is an analog mic. Its output is the same as a mic preamplifier for any other kind of mic element.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Products from Adafruit”