HDMI Micro Plug Dead

Breakout boards, sensors, other Adafruit kits, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
CYMotorsport

HDMI Micro Plug Dead

Post by CYMotorsport »

Hello,

In my order (1Z71EY050390254708) I purchased the attached L Bend micro Hdmi (https://www.adafruit.com/product/3558). I've used it for a couple months now but today it has ceased to work. I'm not exactly sure why. Is there some new element or bad habit I've picked up that can fix this? Is this common with this connector?

I've tried different cameras and different cables all successfully. Being mindful of the ribbon to be sure it was inserted fully on both ends. Is this replaceable or should I proceed purchasing a replacement?

Nick
Attachments
hdmi micro fail 1.jpg
hdmi micro fail 1.jpg (148.41 KiB) Viewed 179 times
hdmi fail 2.jpg
hdmi fail 2.jpg (75.61 KiB) Viewed 179 times
hdmi fail 3.jpg
hdmi fail 3.jpg (89.7 KiB) Viewed 179 times

adafruit_support_mike

Re: HDMI Micro Plug Dead

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

Our return/replace period lasts 30 days, so it sounds like you're beyond that.

Flex cables and their connectors aren't intended for lots of motion or plugging/unplugging, so it's possible you have a connection that's going marginal. You can try measuring the conductivity/resistance between traces on the flex cable and solder joints on the HDMI connector's PCB to see if you can find a marginal one. It might be possible to correct the problem by resoldering a joint or adding some padding to the cable, if you think it's worthwhile.

CYMotorsport

Post by CYMotorsport »

Thanks for the reply, Mike. It's not moving anymore than usual but I do get flex cables just have their issues. It was a couple bucks after all. I think it's worth a shot resoldering and adding a bit of protection - good idea.

CYMotorsport

Post by CYMotorsport »

Just to confirm Mike - While looking at this, I wasn't sure what to actually solder. In trying to make the updates, the connection came off as expected. I do see 4 "channels" if you will which I wager act as the data exchange. Not sure if this is what you were referring to, but is it possible to solder 4 wires to these channels? and if so, do you know which are clock, ground, etc? I couldn't find this information re: your ribbon cables anywhere. Thanks for the help! Nick
Attachments
Micro update.png
Micro update.png (729.94 KiB) Viewed 134 times

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

I honestly don't know the pinout of an HDMI cable. It's not a hackable protocol.

Go ahead and experiment with the connections for the fun of it, but I can't make any promises.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Products from Adafruit”