Need help wth RGB matrix!

Breakout boards, sensors, other Adafruit kits, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
blkhwks19

Need help wth RGB matrix!

Post by blkhwks19 »

I bought a new 32x64 6mm RGB Matrix, including a new Metro M4 Express Airlift Lite and a RGB Matrix shield. The first time I plugged it in I was able to choose the board and port in the Arduino IDE and I uploaded the testshapes_32x54 demo code (from this guide). It uploaded successfully and the demo began playing. The first part of the demo with the shapes and colors looks fine, but the multi colored text is pretty garbled and flickering (see attached photo).

To determine if this was due to hardware or the code, I made a new sketch that just lit up a few single pixels and these were garbled too (Sorry didn't get a photo of this). I unplugged the board and panel to inspect it to make sure everything was seated correctly, and everything looks fine as far as I can tell. When I plugged everything back in, now the IDE no longer displays a port for me to choose, and I get a yellow triangle in the Device Manager that says "Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed)". Tried rebooting the IDE and even Windows (I'm on Win10 64-bit, fyi).

So I have 2 problems. 1) Why won't the IDE recognize my board?, and 2) Once #1 is settled, what's causing the garbled text?

Any thoughts whats going on? Tried looking in the FAQ of the guide I linked above, and it does address display issues, but mostly just shows some examples and goes on to say that these are most likely wiring problems. I don't have any wiring other than the jumper wire I had to add to the shield to make it compatible for use with the M4 (and plugging in the 3 components to each other, but those all have connectors, no wiring/soldering needed...)
Attachments
Pic of garbled text from rgb matrix demo code
Pic of garbled text from rgb matrix demo code
pic.jpg (938.26 KiB) Viewed 124 times

blnkjns

Re: Need help wth RGB matrix!

Post by blnkjns »

Try this library, I have more succes with it on the M4
https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-pro ... ix-library
Also don't forget to add a jumper cable from A4 to 8. The instruction tells to use a knife and cut between the CLK contacts, but I solder stackable headers to the shield and simply put in a jumper cable. That way I can use the shield with other Arduino's and Metro boards as well. The only downside is that you can't use pin 8 for something else.
If you already soldered normal male headers to the shield, you can consider soldering 2x 8-pin female headers next to the HUB connector, and put the jumper cable in there. And you can off course do the cut-and-solder job for a more permanent M4 conversion of the shield.

blkhwks19

Re: Need help wth RGB matrix!

Post by blkhwks19 »

Thanks. Yeah I already did the cut and solder job like the guide instructed.

I think I may have come up with a theory what my problem is, but I can't edit my original post. So I had to create a new one. The description of the setup and problem and theory is a little more streamlined than this post. Please check it out here: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=191506

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Products from Adafruit”