Adafruit_TLC59711 random blinking Issue

Breakout boards, sensors, other Adafruit kits, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
chrismckee

Adafruit_TLC59711 random blinking Issue

Post by chrismckee »

using the Adafruit_TLC59711 any of the LEDs that are supposed to be off, either never called or specifically set to 0 randomly blink this happens at the same time for all of the pins that are supposed to be off using pro trinket Adafruit_TLC59711 and nothing else code is only for the led driver other than a button.

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Adafruit_TLC59711 random blinking Issue

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

Post a photo showing your hardware and connections and we'll take a look. 800x600 images usually work best.

chrismckee

Post by chrismckee »

here is a picture of the setup I have data on pin 5 clock on pin 3 v+ and vcc bussed together to power and ground to common ground. I then have a button linked to a switch small bank with the inputs on pin 8 and pin 13 and all the LEDs are straddled between one of the driver pins and power
Attachments
IMG_6128.jpg
IMG_6128.jpg (850.78 KiB) Viewed 199 times

adafruit_support_mike

How are the jumpers connected to the DI and CI holes in the PCB, and are you sure they don't extend far enough to have a connection through the breadboard's row?

chrismckee

Post by chrismckee »

the herder is soldered in place and there is a good spacing above the breadboard however playing around with different code they only blink when I have code that fades other lights up and down and seems at the top of the fade is where they blink

adafruit_support_mike

That sounds like you might be seeing a power issue.

The LEDs may be drawing enough current to create voltage spikes on VCC and/or GND. Those can interfere with the TLC59711's input circuit or counter to make the chip think it's seeing commands to light other LEDs.

Jumper wire and breadboard clips have resistance, which can be unexpectedly high.. I once traced a problem to a breadboard that lost more than 1V from one end of a trace to the other. The surface oxidation on the clips acted like an extra resistor in the connection.

Try moving the power connection closer to the TLC59711, and put a 10uF capacitor (or larger) between the breakout's Vin and GND connections.

chrismckee

Post by chrismckee »

should I put the capacitor in the optional capacitor spot? or is that for something else?

adafruit_support_mike

Adding the capacitor will also reduce noise on the supply rails. If you have a large capacitor, go ahead and add it.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Products from Adafruit”