USB / DC / Solar Lithium Ion/Polymer charger

Breakout boards, sensors, other Adafruit kits, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
vgvallee

Re: USB / DC / Solar Lithium Ion/Polymer charger

Post by vgvallee »

Hi again,

I have successfully used the charger, with external LEDs, and everything seems to be working fine. I'm now double checking the whole setup before I enclose it in my project. I would rather have things right now than having to open the everything up later.

Since I wanted to use 3 of your small solar cells to charge the battery, I put a Schottky diode on the negative side of each panel to protect them in case of partial shading. I didn't put anything on the positive side. Should there be a diode on that side too or is the one I put in place sufficient?

Also, I have connected to the charger using the DC IN lines. This is because I have a SPDT switch to select either the panels or a wall wart to charge the battery: I didn't want to have to plug and unplug anything. Should there be a diode to protect against reverse current on the line going to the wall wart?

Thanks,
Vince

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Should there be a diode on that side too or is the one I put in place sufficient?
One is enough.
Should there be a diode to protect against reverse current on the line going to the wall wart?
No need for that.

john444

Post by john444 »

cordstar wrote:Is there a minimum charge current from a 6v solar module for the solar charger to charge the battery?
My setup flashes the charging LED current as low as 1-mA.
The panel is not in direct sunlight but inside next to a window.
Although, at 1-mA it is going to take a very loooooooooong time to charge a decent capacity battery.

cordstar

Post by cordstar »

Cool, thanks for the reply John, I am putting together about 300 mA of 6v panel, just waiting for a minty boost kit. Would have been handy to have a 5v boost circuit already built in to the solar charger circuit, but all good, just hoping I can solder the minty boost bits together ok. Thanks again.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Products from Adafruit”