Black Lives Matter - Action and Equality. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

UP501 - No Data Stream?
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

UP501 - No Data Stream?

by chris_c on Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:52 pm

Hey Guys,

Just got a UP501 and hooked it up using an arduino and the Adafruit wiring diagram and Adafruit demo sketch... Upon starting the serial monitor i get the "Adafruit MTK3329 NMEA test!" message but nothing after that. I had this stuff outside with a clear line of sight to the sky - waited the better part of an hour and never saw anything else on the serial monitor?

Is there a data stream sent when the GPS is aquiring fixes or does it sit idle untill aquired? Is there any way to test this to see if it is sending or recieving data?

Cheers,

Chris

chris_c

Re: UP501 - No Data Stream?

by adafruit on Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:55 pm

Chris_C wrote:Hey Guys,

Just got a UP501 and hooked it up using an arduino and the Adafruit wiring diagram and Adafruit demo sketch... Upon starting the serial monitor i get the "Adafruit MTK3329 NMEA test!" message but nothing after that. I had this stuff outside with a clear line of sight to the sky - waited the better part of an hour and never saw anything else on the serial monitor?

Is there a data stream sent when the GPS is aquiring fixes or does it sit idle untill aquired? Is there any way to test this to see if it is sending or recieving data?

Cheers,

Chris

did you not see ANY other output?

adafruit

by chris_c on Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:59 pm

adafruit wrote:
Chris_C wrote:Hey Guys,

Cheers,

Chris

did you not see ANY other output?

Nothing at all after the "Adafruit MTK3329 NMEA test!"

chris_c

by chris_c on Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:45 am

Any thoughts on this? I am guessing it is defective?

Chris

chris_c

by adafruit_support_rick on Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:48 am

Can you please post a detailed picture of your wiring so we can check it?

You might also try some different locations in your breadboard, as sometimes they can be flaky. Some breadboards also have split power rails - if your power and ground wires are on the opposite side of the breadboard from the UP501, try moving them closer.

adafruit_support_rick

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.