Black Lives Matter - Action and Equality. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

Thermal Printer Drive Motor Failure
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Thermal Printer Drive Motor Failure

by winstonc on Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:20 pm

Hello, I ordered a mini-thermal printer starter pack about a week and a half ago, but I believe the drive motor has failed prematurely.

When I startup the printer holding the button on the front, the paper does not feed and I hear no sound. But when I open the paper door, I see a sigle, solid black line printed on the paper. I should note that this procedure has worked successfully in the past.

I connected the printer to my meter, and repeated the self-test procedure above, and saw that the amperage was going between 0-and 1.75 at 5 volts. So, I know the print head is working.

I uploaded the Adafruit print test sketch to to my Arduino to see if that might help, and I had the same results.

In a final attempt to diagnose the issue, I ran the self test, and pulled the paper through the printer, and it did print, but it was very skewed because feeding by hand does not provide consistant speed.

I was wondering if there was any warranty on this item, as I have not yet even finished the first roll of paper that came with the starter pack that I bought. Thank you!

winstonc

Re: Thermal Printer Drive Motor Failure

by adafruit_support_rick on Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:03 pm

Please contact support@adafruit.com for a replacement. Reference this thread.

adafruit_support_rick

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.