Black Lives Matter - Action and Equality. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

Commercial Begone
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Commercial Begone

by davidh on Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:53 am

Hi,

My grandfather had cable back in the early 60's. He changed the channel with a remote control that worked off a sound. The thing that was really cool was it detected commercials and turned off the volume until the commercial was over. Any chance Adafruit would put out a Commercial Begone Kit?

Cheers
David
davidh

Re: Commercial Begone

by adafruit on Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:15 am

that's a very fun story, thanks for sharing! we do not have any plans to make a kit like that at this time.

thanks!

adafruit

by easternstargeek on Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:36 am

To the OP:
If you want to make one yourself- you can use a little AI to do it-

For example, you might be able to trigger off a sudden audio level change, since the audio on most adverts is heavily compressed (meaning all the dynamic range is squeezed out of it so that it appears louder to the ears. The difference between the loudest and softest sound is very small)

Also, when switching to adverts, there is usually at least one black frame in between the program and the advert.

This would be a really fun project for anyone who wants to noodle around with a DSP, and has access to the composite video and audio signals of their TeeVee.

For me, the best way to zap commercials is to not watch TV. I don't have the time even if I wanted to!

easternstargeek

by easternstargeek on Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:36 am

To the OP:
If you want to make one yourself- you can use a little AI to do it-

For example, you might be able to trigger off a sudden audio level change, since the audio on most adverts is heavily compressed (meaning all the dynamic range is squeezed out of it so that it appears louder to the ears. The difference between the loudest and softest sound is very small)

Also, when switching to adverts, there is usually at least one black frame in between the program and the advert.

This would be a really fun project for anyone who wants to noodle around with a DSP, and has access to the composite video and audio signals of their TeeVee.

For me, the best way to zap commercials is to not watch TV. I don't have the time even if I wanted to!

easternstargeek

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.