Black Lives Matter - Action and Equality. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

Defective DC power adapter, nearly started fire!
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Defective DC power adapter, nearly started fire!

by eriksrocks on Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:12 pm

Hi there. So I recently bought one of these along with the 5V 10A power supply that you guys have for an LED project of mine. Everything was great when it arrived, I got everything wired up, but when I turned on the power supply, I instantly heard something sizzling, and a half second later this power adapter pretty much exploded with lots of sparks and electrical smoke (although I didn't know it was the culprit initially). Thankfully my hand was right near the power switch, so I was able to turn it off quickly and avoid what could have quickly turned into an eletrical fire.

I measured the power supply, it is performing to spec at about 5.3v. None of the LED's were on when I plugged it in, so it's not like I was running an insane amount of current through it either. My best guess is that something just completely shorted inside, but I don't know what (what else is in these aside from some wires to connect to the screw terminals?).

Here are some pictures of the aftermath:

It sucks, but I'm just glad this was the problem and I didn't destroy $100 worth of addressable LED's as I thought I might have when I saw smoke.

I can mail the part back, but I need a replacement ASAP. You guys might also want to seriously consider inspecting your current inventory of these. I was lucky I was paying close attention and was there when it happened. If mine wasn't just a complete fluke, these are dangerous and could start fires.

Thanks,

- Erik

eriksrocks

Re: Defective DC power adapter, nearly started fire!

by adafruit on Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:35 pm

Hi there, that is incredibly strange - we've never heard of anything like it (we've sold thousands of these). It sounds like the power supply is fine, and never output more than 5V (so it would not have damaged your LEDs). Because of the high power capability of the power brick, it can melt plastic if shorted somehow. However, there may be something amiss with the plug adapter. Can you measure to see if there's a short between the terminal blocks?

Also, please email support@adafruit.com so we can send you a postage paid envelope to get the part back to inspect it, we'l of course check current inventory as well.

Thanks!
Adafruit support, phil

adafruit

Re: Defective DC power adapter, nearly started fire!

by eriksrocks on Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:57 pm

Hi Phil,

Thanks for the quick response.

There is a short on the power supply side (the DC power connector side) that measures 4.6 ohms in resistance between the anode and cathode leads. I measured 2.12 K ohms of resistance between the terminal blocks. Something is definitely weird inside.

I'll email support@adafruit.com.

Thanks,
Erik

eriksrocks

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.