Import error for ADS1015 ADC

Breakout boards, sensors, other Adafruit kits, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
adrianthegasman

Import error for ADS1015 ADC

Post by adrianthegasman »

I have recently purchased an ADS1015 ADC board.

I believe I have installed the appropriate libraries but the following python code fails: from Adafruit_ADS1x15 import ADS1x15

...with the error "No module named Adafruit_ADS1x15"

All thoughts welcome.

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Import error for ADS1015 ADC

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

How did you install the libraries?

Python's 'import' rules are slightly different for system modules and local modules, and there doesn't seem to be any clean way of making files that will work in either location. The RasPi Python code was written for standalone operation as a github repository, but there are also package-manager installations that put the files in the standard module tree.

adrianthegasman

Post by adrianthegasman »

Apologies, I’m a newby to the Pi and I didn’t quite understand all of your response – I’ll get there eventually :-)

I installed the libraries using:

sudo apt-get install python-pip
sudo pip install Adafruit_Libraries

Is this correct?

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

That's the information I needed.

When you install the modules that way, you need to write the 'import' line differently. Instead of:

Code: Select all

from Adafruit_ADS1x15 import ADS1x15
You need:

from Adafruit.ADS1x15 import Adafruit_ADS1x15

rmitchell

Post by rmitchell »

I had this problem and I finally realised that the issue was that the Raspberry Pi had both Python2 and Python3 installed. AdaFruit instructions tell you to install the library using: sudo python setup.py install

This, by default, only installs the library in Python2. If you are using Python3, you need the following installation: sudo python3 setup.py install

mron

Post by mron »

I'm having the same problem. I just upgraded from wheezy to jessie. A python script no longer works. Here's the trouble line:

from Adafruit.ADS1x15 import Adafruit_ADS1x15
here's the error:

File "./TankHeight_Temp_Humdity_Sampler_test.py", line 8, in <module>
    from Adafruit import Adafruit_ADS1x15
ImportError: No module named Adafruit
I'm running python 2.79, rpi, latest jessie. Here's a list of locally installed python modules:

['adafruit-ads1x15==1.0.2', 'adafruit-gpio==1.0.3', 'adafruit-pureio==0.2.1', 'spidev==3.2']

mron

Post by mron »

I looked at the example code and got it working. My old library had a function "adc.readADCSingleEnded(0, gain, sps)". The new library has "adc.read_adc( 0, gain, sps )". Is it a single-ended read? I used a sample rate of 8 on the old module. The new one needs 128. Are the old and the new 128 the same? I had a gain of 4096 in the old module, I think this corresponds to "1" in the new. Are these the correct setting? Is it single-ended of differential?

Farqhuit

Post by Farqhuit »

rmitchell wrote:I had this problem and I finally realised that the issue was that the Raspberry Pi had both Python2 and Python3 installed. AdaFruit instructions tell you to install the library using: sudo python setup.py install

This, by default, only installs the library in Python2. If you are using Python3, you need the following installation: sudo python3 setup.py install
Mitchell, thank you so much for this. Sorted my problem pronto. I was getting quite discouraged. Cheers mate!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Products from Adafruit”