Voting resources, early voting, and poll worker information - VOTE. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

My 3d printing experience so far
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

My 3d printing experience so far

by gucabe on Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:11 am

I have been printing at home since February when i bought a Printrbot Simple metal from Adafruit. My experience has been an up slope of satisfaction.

I have been designing greeblies for costumes and props (my own mostly) because I am a member of the 501st Legion as well as of the R2 builders club. It has been very satisfiying for me that I am a clutz on sculpting or creating things with my own hands, so 3d printing has been a life saver.

I used to design the parts make prints and send them off to a machinist (still do on some metal pieces) or upload to shapeways for 3d printing. Now a days i print them out at home. I have a huge colection of models that I have been uploading to shapeways and have shared them all with my fellow 501st members so they can print at home too.

Here are just a few examples that I recently printed:

R2 parts

for the 501st costumes

https://youtu.be/5L8vDOqV4lo

And just for fun a Jedi Holocron from the Star Wars Rebels tv series that I designed
https://youtu.be/m0qqLeKnoeU

So after the first couple of months my experience with 3d printing has been wonderful and my printer has been very very busy. The simple metal is a great printer specially for the price. Once you get the hang of it works great.

I strongly recommend investing on simplify3d for slicing and printing, that made my prints better and faster. However it might not work with all printers so double check that.

Thanks.

gucabe

Re: My 3d printing experience so far

by adafruit_support_bill on Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:15 am

Wow! Great work. Thanks for posting.

adafruit_support_bill

by gucabe on Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:17 am

Thanks Bill, what I normally do is find already known parts and just add the greeblies and paint like this blaster:

from this

to this:

I use solidworks in my work place and that is where i design my greeblies in my spare time just dont tell my boss hehe

I've also made pieces for my dioramas of the black series 6 inch line of toys, like the top ribs, floor grills and switch box

So 3d printing for a hobbyist like me is pure gold.

gucabe

by gucabe on Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:34 am

by the way Mods please feel free to move this thread to the correct section I just noticed that I put it in the wrong "other products" section. Sorry about that.

gucabe

by adafruit_support_bill on Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:40 pm

Topic moved!

adafruit_support_bill

by gucabe on Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:53 pm

Thanks Bill

I'll be adding more pics of parts that I'm currently working for both the Droid an greeblies for my fellow 501st brothers.

Thanks.

gucabe

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.