RETURN & REPLACE - Faulty Purchase

Breakout boards, sensors, other Adafruit kits, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
kd7yva

RETURN & REPLACE - Faulty Purchase

Post by kd7yva »

My order number is: 757128-2795618813

I purchased a (PRODUCT ID: 2232) 5" HDMI Screen for my raspberry pi. It doesn't work. When I boot up my pi using it, the screen displays the output all mixed up and unreadable. My friend also bought one, and his does work. I had him try my broken display with his raspberry pi; and he gets the same broken result.

I really need a working display for a demo I am doing. Can you please help me get this replaced ASAP!

I have to say, this is my first experience returning something to Adafruit - and it has been terrible! First I couldn't figure out how to contact you; and then once I did, I didn't understand how to use your forum to post a "topic" to ask for a replacement.

adafruit_support_mike

Re: RETURN & REPLACE - Faulty Purchase

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

For sake of confirmation, could you post a photo of the display showing garbled output please? 800x600 images usually work best.

kd7yva

Post by kd7yva »

So I ordered a second one, assuming that the first one was defective. Once I received the second one, it didn't work either. So I then ordered one with touch capability - because my friend's has touch. Hoping that product works better than the one without touch. After ordering the one with touch, I figured out that I needed to configure the Pi's HDMI settings to use the display properly. That isn't what I expected, but it doesn't seem to be defective. I haven't checked the first display to ensure it works, but I assume it works given the second one works with Pi settings.

So now I am wondering what can do with the two extra displays that I don't need. Can I return them and have the shipping refunded as well?

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

To arrange for a return email [email protected]. We can only accept returns of unopened kits and products, within 30 days of receipt (for international orders, 30 days from shipment). Any returns after 30 days are in store credit only. All returns are credited as store credit upon receipt for international orders or for Paypal / Credit card orders after 30 days of payment. Customers are responsible for return shipping costs unless the product arrives damaged or defective. Please contact us before returning any package! We're reasonable people and we hope you are too! Contact us if you have any issues and we'll do our best to help you out!

kd7yva

Post by kd7yva »

Here's some feedback; please forward to Lady Ada!

I love the technical support you provide: the code you write, the products you create, the instructions, etc. Your prices are high - but it is worth the technical support! You guys have nailed the technical side of your business.

However, Adafruit has the worst customer support I have ever experienced! Having to use a Forum to return a product is terribly confusing and inconvenient. Not having phone support for issues is completely unacceptable.

Your prices are high enough that you should be providing customer support - at the expectation level of your customers. You customer support should be following Amazon - the regular place I buy electronic components.

I now have three of your HDMI screens because I couldn't have a quick / convenient conversation with your customer service about why your HDMI screens don't just work. I plug my Pi into a TV, and it just works - the way HDMI is spec'ed out to work. I plug my Pi into your HDMI displays and they don't just work. To make it worse, seemingly the same products, with and without touch behave differently when you just plug them into a Raspberry Pi. Due to all this, and my own assumption that I would be able to return without loosing money any ordered products that aren't working or turn out to be unacceptable to me; I have three screens that don't work properly. Though they can work when you apply special config in the Pi - unexpected and not what I want.

You are telling me that there is a short time frame for returning items, and that they must not have been opened? And that I am responsible for the return shipping if I am unsatisfied? This isn't expected either.

I don't think you understand the Online Store model - checkout Zappos, Amazon, etc.

I hope Adafruit improves their customer support. I am very disappointed in this experience I have had this time around.

Due to your unexpected policies, I will see if any of my friends want to buy the extra 2 HDMI screens I have now. At least that way I won't have to pay Adafruit more money for a failed order experience.

RichD4

Post by RichD4 »

I apparently ordered the wrong medium 16x32 RGB LED panel .The order invoice NO. 787492 .I would like to get the fine display to match the one I have already .
Please help with the return and replace .
Thanks

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

As long as the one you ordered is in its original condition, you can send it back for an exchange. Since it isn't a production or hardware failure, you'll need to pay the shipping.

Send a note to [email protected] with a link to this thread and the folks there will help you.

FiveStar

Post by FiveStar »

I purchased and just received a fingerprint scanner. I think it arrived D.O.A.. I soldered a four pin header to the sensor wires and no sensor was found with the fingerprint sketch. UI then soldered prototyping pin wires to the connector wires with the same result. I checked continuity in both cases. I completed many projects with Arduino and worked for many years as an electrical engineer. I really believe the device is dead.
Products
------------------------------------------------------
1 x Fingerprint sensor[ID:751] = $49.95
------------------------------------------------------
Sub-Total: $49.95
United Parcel Service (1 pkg x 0.55 lbs total) (UPS GROUND): $9.07
Sales Tax: $0.00
Total: $59.02
Order Confirmation No: 798051-5464744209

I am grateful for any assistance you can give.

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

How are you connecting it and what code are you running?

FiveStar

Post by FiveStar »

It's connected according to tutorial -
Red 5v
Black gnd
Green pin2
White pin3
None of the supplied sketches report finding the scanner
Last edited by FiveStar on Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pixlux

Post by pixlux »

hi!! i'm very lost

i'm using fingerprint sensor 751 on my arduino adk (IDE1.6.1)
the SFG works very well but with the enroll sketch it said that there was a conflict return type

i visited a lot of forum to find out the solution but...
the wiring is good (pin 12 and 13)
please help

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

@Fivestar, Email [email protected] with a link to this thread and they will send you a replacement

elgadik

Post by elgadik »

i bought a sarpberry pi 3 model b starter pack. the assembly was uneventful and easy and a light signal shows up when connected to power sully but there is no signal coming out on the screen.

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

How is it connected to the display and what version of the OS are you running?

elgadik

Post by elgadik »

it is connected with hdmi. the OS is NOOBS 2.0

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Products from Adafruit”