Bricked HUZZAH
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Re: Bricked HUZZAH

by GyroGearloose on Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:33 am

@bobthesheep22, I tried it as you described but did not work.
Changed over to a 5V FTDI-cable, same thing.
Kept the GPIO_0 button pressed and then pressed and released the RESET button, with the GPIO_0 still pressed
and suddenly it started uploading !!
Now it works as before.
A miracle ! Thank you so much for your suggestion!

GyroGearloose

by Chuck0 on Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:16 pm

Just as GyroGearloose said !!!
Exactly : Read carefully: EXTENDED GPIO0 PUSH.

1) Near end ofcompile and Before download starts - DEPRESS and HOLD GPIO0.
2) Just before download starts , after step1 above, quick press and release RESET. (Do not let up on GPIO0).
3) Continue to hold GPIO0 until completely finished on download....watch flashing light on ESP.

SUBSEQUENT UPLOADS may or may not need extended GPIO0 hold. 90% of the time mine uploads normal, but still once in a great while will still need the EXTENDED GPIO0 Protocol.

I wonder if the GPIO0 switch could have a physical problem opening? But that really doesn't make sense why the Lua Uploader worked without problem.

Does any one know if Lua and Arduino write to the same memory block ? Is it the same boot / upload sequence ?.... I did not need to push Reset using Lua to upload.

Chuck0

by Ooozone on Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:15 am

@Adafruit Huzzah....Spent lot of time with the Problem #ESPcomm_open failed #espcomm_sync failed.
Plus, the progamming mode gets freezed and no matter how many times you press the reset or even change the power source, it will remain freeze in programming.
First I thought it is a issue with the board as i am succesfully programming 8266 boards from different vendors.

Tried so many methods like :
1. Providing a higher power source.
2. Using different FTDI and Serial chips for the uploading.
3. Connecting different pins with VCC and GND.
4. Changing the version of Arduino, ESP board from board manager, serial, com port, etc. But nothing worked.

Than after reading here a method (Miracle Method) I also tired this method...
1. Select the Generic board, baud 921600, reset method nodemcu etc according to the post from ADAFRUIT.
2. Hold the GPIO0 button and press RESET button, Release RESET button (dont release the GPIO0 button, keep it pressed). It will start uploading.

Thanks all for the help and thanks Adafruit.

Ooozone

by adafruit2 on Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:20 pm

another person found a possible solution
https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-huz ... /faq#faq-5

adafruit2
Site Admin

by raschemmel on Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:27 pm

I thought I bricked my Huzzah because I was uploading a sketch and one of my communication wires came off and the Huzzah got stuck in the download mode with the blue led on solid bright and the red led dim. I tried many things but nothing worked so I installed the windows flasher (nodemcu) and tried that but nothing was happening on the progess bar. Finally I thought maybe it was all in the timing so I moved my laptop next to the breadboard and placed the cursor over the FLASH button, then put one small screwdriver on the GP100 button with my right hand, (without pressing) and a second one over the reset button with my left hand. Then I pressed the GP100 down with my left hand and held it down while pressing the reset button with my right hand. momentarily then releasing the reset button and moved my right hand over to the laptop and clicked on the FLASH button a fraction of a second before releasing the GP100 button. The bright blue light immediately went off and started blinking dimly with the red led and the progress bar started. The FLASH was successful and I loaded the Blink sketch with the IDE after first opening the COM terminal and verifying that the Lua prompt appeared on Reset. For what it's worth, I tried the above several times before I was able to do it correctly. Each time I thought I didn't do it right I just clicked the STOP button and then tried again.

raschemmel

by Flare_96 on Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:33 pm

@Adafruit

So my ESP8266 HUZZAH gets the uploaded code (blink program), but shortly after, it returns to bootload mode. How can I fix this problem.

Flare_96

by Flare_96 on Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:20 pm

So my ESP8266 HUZZAH gets the uploaded code (blink program), but shortly after, it returns to bootload mode. How can I fix this problem. How can I not get my ESP8266 HUZZAH to not go back to reset.

@Adafruit

Flare_96

by xobes on Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:39 pm

I determined that my GPIO pin was at about 1.3v on boot, so i used an external 10k ohm resistor to #0 to pull it UP to 3.3v and reset the board. No more stuck in boot load! Tested with a permanent additional 10k resistor from 3.3v to #0 for programming and running from 5v.

xobes

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.