Pitft touch no longer working

Breakout boards, sensors, other Adafruit kits, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
caperjack

Pitft touch no longer working

Post by caperjack »

Hello my PiTFT - Assembled 480x320 3.5" order item # 2097 ,Item was purchased in early May this year ,Order #777015-2924090028
,just out of the blue the touch feature stopped working ,For no apparent reason and all connection are good and the ribbon cables look great .any suggestions ,thanks in advance,
Attachments
DSCF2738.JPG
DSCF2738.JPG (190.58 KiB) Viewed 538 times
DSCF2740.JPG
DSCF2740.JPG (322.3 KiB) Viewed 539 times

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Pitft touch no longer working

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

Post the output you get from `dmesg` please.

caperjack

Post by caperjack »

thank you for the quick response ,it says a lot ,not much I understand ,thank you for any help you can offer
Attachments
dmesg.txt
(81.12 KiB) Downloaded 147 times

adafruit_support_mike

Thank you.

The kernel is able to find and talk to the STMPE610 touchscreen controller, so that chip is at least paritally good.

Try reseating the flex cable to see if it makes any difference. Pull the tabs at the ends toward the slot to release the cable, remove and reseat the cable, then press the tabs back to lock the cable in place.

If you have a spare SD card, try writing a fresh copy of our Easy-Install image to that and see if the touchscreen responds when running from that OS.

caperjack

Post by caperjack »

ok I will try resetting the cable later today after work thanks . I did already do the fresh install of raspbian, both wheeze and Jessie

caperjack

Post by caperjack »

Nope ,no difference after reseating the cable ,I Tried a fresh Jessie, no difference , I will now try a fresh Wheeze,

caperjack

Post by caperjack »

did a fresh Wheezy ,and make sure I have the correct version for my 3.5lcd, but it made no difference ,any other suggestions ,
last thing I remember doing before it stopped was sprayed some foam cleaner on a cloth and cleaned it .

adafruit_support_mike

Hmm.. did the board happen to be powered when you did that?

caperjack

Post by caperjack »

I would have to go just by memory ,and I will say no it wasn't turned on, i say that because I wouldn't have screen the smudges with the screen on . it baffles me why it just stopped ,it was like it worked one minute and not the next ,problem is I cant even remember what I was doing when it stopped

caperjack

Post by caperjack »

I searched and searched and find no other options ,starting to get pissed of with all this Pi stuff , 2 7inch lcd I had broke the flex cable ,my camera stopped working ,now my pitft touch went poof ......

adafruit_support_mike

It sounds like you might have some electrostatic discharge (ESD) problems. It's the same stuff that causes a spark when you touch a doorknob in winter.

The kind of spark you can see and hear has about 15,000 volts pushing it. There isn't much current, but it's enough to blow holes through the oxide layers isolating one part of a chip from another. The Pi Camera is notable for being sensitive to ESD.

Generating that kind of voltage is easier than you might think. Most hard plastics generate a static charge on their surface when you rub other materials across them, or even when sitting out in a breeze. Acrylic and nylon fabrics are also prone to static.

You can eliminate ESD by touching a piece of metal connected to the circuit's GND before touching any of the more sensitive pins. On a RasPi, the shells of the USB and Ethernet jacks are good grounding points. That will send any blips of static to the power supply, which is more than capable of dealing with them.

caperjack

Post by caperjack »

thanks for your info,

PiLouis

Post by PiLouis »

Hi Adafruit,

I have an Adafruit 3.5" PiTFT connected to a Raspberry Pi 3 via a short ribbon cable. I'm encountering an ESD issue when shocking one of the USB chassis' with a basic ESD generating gun (one of those basic lighter type clickers). When the RPi is connected to the PiTFT and I shock the one of the USB sockets chassis' the display goes blank and doesn't come back on. However, when the RPi is connected to a HDMI monitor and I shock at the same location, the HDMI monitor blanks for around a second and then returns back to normal operation.

Is there a way I can force the PiTFT display to do the same thing as the HDMI monitor? Maybe by editing the display driver code to reset every second or something?

Thank you in advance

Louis

caperjack

Post by caperjack »

totally different issue than what this thread is about ,maybe you would be better served if you start your own new thread ,good luck

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Products from Adafruit”