Powerboost 500 Charger
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Powerboost 500 Charger

by wehyu on Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:32 am

Hello,

I just ordered a PowerBoost 500 Charger and I have a question.
I will be using it with an Arduino Micro. The idea is to use it to set up the voltage of the lipo battery and provide also a way to recharge the battery without disconnecting it.

I would like to connect the PowerBoost charger and the Arduino together so that I only use one of the usb ports to both communicate with the Arduino (updates etc.) and charge the battery. I guess this would be the Arduino micro usb port (but it could also be the port of the powerboost soldering wires directly to the micro usb connector).
How should I connect the PowerBoost 500 Charger to the Arduino Micro to do so?

My intuition is that it would be a bad idea to connect the 5V of the Arduino Micro to the input of the Powerboost AND the output of the Powerboost to the 5V of the Arduino micro. But I might be wrong and they are already connected together? I'm unsure from the schematic. I don’t want to make something wrong around batteries!

Thanks a lot! :)

wehyu

Re: Powerboost 500 Charger

by adafruit_support_bill on Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:25 pm

You definitely do NOT want to connect 5v input to the 5v output. The grounds are connected straight through as they should be. The issue is the data lines. D+ and D-. These are not connected at the input, and have a resistor network on the output to identify it as a charging device. You would need to remove the resistor network and add jumpers for the data lines from the input side to the output side.

adafruit_support_bill

by wehyu on Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:37 pm

Thanks a lot for this answer!
Would, alternatively to removing the resistor network (R9 to R12) on the USBAf port and adding jumpers from the input side to the output side, be it possible to
- add jumpers from the D+ and D- lines of the input of the Powerboost to the USB port of the Arduino, and
- connect the GND and +5V pins of the Powerboost to the GND and +5V pins of the Arduino ? (= not use the USB A f port)
(That way, I could use the micro USB port of the Powerboost as an charging+data USB port for the whole setup.)

wehyu

by adafruit_support_bill on Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:55 pm

That should work. But probably the simplest thing to do is to take a regular USB cable, cut it in half and strip back an inch or two of the outer jacket to expose the wires.

Re-splice the D+ and D- wires back together.

Connect the 5v and GND wires from the "A" side to the USB and GND pins on the edge near the input jack.

Connect the 5v and GND wires from the "B" side to the 5v and GND pins on the edge near the output jack.

Now you will have a USB power and data cable with a battery charger/boost converter in the middle.

adafruit_support_bill

by wehyu on Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:01 pm

That's a very clever idea!
My project is very space sensitive so my idea was to gain space by reducing the number of connector… I will have a look into it when I receive the Powerboost!
Thanks again a lot for your help :)

wehyu

by wb8nbs on Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:13 pm

I have exactly the same problem. Want to use USB serial while the battery is charging, then have the battery take over to power the Arduino when USB is disconnected. It would have been nice if the micro D+ and D- were brought out to pads so we could jumper the data through. I've tried soldering wires on the micro pins its almost impossible.

wehyu, please post something if you get it to work.

wb8nbs

by adafruit_support_bill on Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:42 am

Using the method posted above: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=85853#p432312
There is no need to solder to the micro USB pins. The board has breakouts for all the power and ground pins. The data wires can bypass the board entirely.

adafruit_support_bill

by wb8nbs on Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:52 pm

adafruit_support_bill wrote:Using the method posted above: http://forums.adafruit.com/viewtopic.ph ... 53#p432312
There is no need to solder to the micro USB pins. The board has breakouts for all the power and ground pins. The data wires can bypass the board entirely.

But I'm trying to build the whole thing in a 3" x 5" box. I'm not going to do an external kludge. If I could get at the micro USB pins, I would jumper it there.

wb8nbs

by wb8nbs on Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:29 pm

wb8nbs wrote:
adafruit_support_bill wrote:Using the method posted above: http://forums.adafruit.com/viewtopic.ph ... 53#p432312

But I'm trying to build the whole thing in a 3" x 5" box. I'm not going to do an external kludge. If I could get at the micro USB pins, I would jumper it there.

I got the bypass hack working using Adafruit products #1833 micro USB breakout and the plug part of a #1390 connector. Please tell The Engineer that I am annoyed because this charger doesn't make D+ and D- pins accessible so I had to spend another $2.50 on a Kludge.

Last edited by wb8nbs on Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wb8nbs

by adafruit_support_bill on Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:33 pm

Thank you for the suggestion. I will mention it to the design team.

adafruit_support_bill

by IR0NM4N on Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:56 pm

Trying to do the same thing as mentioned but I am still new to this and am having trouble visualizing what the @adafruit_support_bill is saying about the usb splicing....

Can I buy the #1833 micro USB breakout run the data pins to the ardunio (in my case the Trinket 5v) and that charging pins to the Powerboost...? something doesn't sound right....will the Trinket get power from the PowerBoost while charging?

Or is it best to run all the usb pins to the Trinket and splice the power and ground to the Powerboost?

Or...
Can I just run jumpers for the USB out (full size un-soldered USB connection near the mounting holes) on the PowerBoost to the Trinket (via microUSB or other pins if available)?

I am a visual learner sorry...

IR0NM4N

by adafruit_support_bill on Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:07 pm

What part are you having trouble understanding? You cut the cable in half, so that one end feeds 5v to the input and the other end takes 5v from the output. The data wires go straight through as described step-by-step above: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=85853#p432312

take a regular USB cable, cut it in half and strip back an inch or two of the outer jacket to expose the wires.

Connect the 5v and GND wires from the "A" side to the USB and GND pins on the edge near the input jack.

Connect the 5v and GND wires from the "B" side to the 5v and GND pins on the edge near the output jack.

Now you will have a USB power and data cable with a battery charger/boost converter in the middle.

adafruit_support_bill

by IR0NM4N on Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:52 pm

adafruit_support_bill wrote:What part are you having trouble understanding? You cut the cable in half, so that one end feeds 5v to the input and the other end takes 5v from the output. The data wires go straight through as described step-by-step above: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=85853#p432312

I think I get it now that I attempted to draw it on paper, but this method would not allow me to plug a USB into it. As the USB cable end A would be there and could plug into a computer but I don't have that much room, hence the use of a trinket.

OH SNAP!
Just read the Trinket USB+ pin description and if I plug microUSB directly into the Trinket I can send the USB 5v to the Powerboost.....thus updating code on the trinket and/or charge the lipo connected to the PowerBoost.

Only question is the description in the PowerBoost page is a bit confusing...
Is the USB and GND pins on the left/top most side of the PB500 (your picture above) an input or output?

IR0NM4N

by adafruit_support_bill on Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:57 pm

The USB on the top left is the input. The 5v on the top right is the output.

adafruit_support_bill

by NeoTechni on Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:35 pm

adafruit_support_bill wrote:That should work. But probably the simplest thing to do is to take a regular USB cable, cut it in half and strip back an inch or two of the outer jacket to expose the wires.

I don't suppose you could draw the wiring for me? That sounds pretty complex and I want to get it right

NeoTechni

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.