Black Lives Matter - Action and Equality. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

My new HUZZAH has me bummed out...
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Re: My new HUZZAH has me bummed out...

by erikhb on Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:05 am

Sorry for pulling up an old thread but I just had and solved a similar problem and thought it best to add to the existing thread for it, to keep it all in one place. (Mods, please move the post and/or kick my behind, if I'm out of line :)

My Huzzah ESP8266 breakout was showing the same symptoms. Resetting it with the serial monitor connected showed a boot code of 7, resetting while pressing the GPIO0 button gave a boot code of 5.
These should normally have been 3 and 1, respectively. This indicated bit 2, MTDO, was stuck on high. This is GPIO 15 on the ESP8266 and it normally has a pull-down on it.

Sure enough, after close examination of my solder work it turned out I had a bridge between GPIO 2 and GPIO 15. After cleaning up the stray bit of solder, the board started booting normally and life is good again.

When troubleshooting ESP8266 boot issues, it is very helpful to bring up the serial monitor, baud rate 74880, and have a look at the boot mode. Look at the first line, which ends with "boot mode: (X,Y)". The number X is made up from the 3 control lines that determine the boot mode:

Bit 2 shows the state of MTDO. Should always be low unless booting from SD-card, which is not supported on the Huzzah, AFAIK.
Bit 1 shows the state of GPIO0. High for normal boot, low for bootloader mode.
Bit 0 shows the state of GPIO2.

I found this information at https://github.com/esp8266/esp8266-wiki ... boot-modes

I hope this is helpful for other users out there.

erikhb

by adafruit_support_rick on Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:50 am

Thanks for posting the tip!

adafruit_support_rick

by KenChihping on Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:42 am

Hi ,
I bought a HUZZAH esp8266 in recently, and I have same error messages as well while uploading LED blink code thru Arduino IDE.
I have been trying many ways to make it work for 3 days until I see the POST in FAQ how to resolve it by pull GPIO#0 to GND (thru 220OHM ) and tied EN and RST
together,
My HUZZAH esp8266 is workable now with this solution. thanks

KenChihping

by kewakl on Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:17 am

Thanks to missilevania's tip and this forum's maintaining this thread, both of my huzzahs are functional again.
Thanks.

kewakl

by kewakl on Sun May 27, 2018 10:22 am

This issue is back -- in force.

Is there a FIX, instead of a collection of (https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-huz ... /faq#faq-9) workarounds?
(https://www.adafruit.com/product/2471) huzzah
I usually use the (https://www.adafruit.com/product/954) ttl console cable.
When I switch to the (https://www.adafruit.com/product/3309) CP2104 board, it works more often than not.

[EDIT] baud = 57600 anything faster and the reset workarounds usually fail

kewakl

by adafruit_support_rick on Mon May 28, 2018 9:09 am

Earlier, you mentioned that you had two HUZZAHs? Is the problem the same on both of them?

Did you try to get the boot mode, as described in erikhb's post above?
erikhb wrote:When troubleshooting ESP8266 boot issues, it is very helpful to bring up the serial monitor, baud rate 74880, and have a look at the boot mode. Look at the first line, which ends with "boot mode: (X,Y)". The number X is made up from the 3 control lines that determine the boot mode:

Bit 2 shows the state of MTDO. Should always be low unless booting from SD-card, which is not supported on the Huzzah, AFAIK.
Bit 1 shows the state of GPIO0. High for normal boot, low for bootloader mode.
Bit 0 shows the state of GPIO2.

adafruit_support_rick

by kewakl on Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:50 am

Earlier, you mentioned that you had two HUZZAHs? Is the problem the same on both of them?

I thought that maybe I had two huzzah boards with issues, so now I bought two more. All four were stuck in boot mode.
It usually takes a few downloads for the bootmode issue to arise.
I tried all of the workarounds : jump EN/RST, resistor to GPIO2, and lowering the baud rate.
(I normally use 921600 baud, but dropped back to 57600 because of this bootmode issue.)
Finally, I swapped out the adafruit console cable to the CP2104 serial friend module and the workarounds -- worked.
An observation: when powered by the ttl console cable, the huzzah runs noticeably warmer than when powered by the CP2104.

Both adapters have ~4.95V (measured on Fluke 26III) and 3v compliant comms.
Both adapters are/were plugged into a targus usb 4-port hub. The hub can be externally powered, but it is not.
CP2104 appears at COM29
Console cable appears at COM14

-When I see this again, I will attempt what you suggest. I have seen the boot messages, but when the CP2104 resolved my issue, I did not go deeper.

I am using a Win7-64 sp1

kewakl

by adafruit_support_rick on Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:34 pm

Seems like there may be a fault in your console cable?

adafruit_support_rick

by c0lby on Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:46 pm

Acd2048 wrote:YES!!! missilevania's solution worked for me! BUT, I had to follow it *exactly*. The FAQ on the learn page only mentions pulling down pin #0. That didn't fix the issue for me. But when I also tied RST and CH_PD togather, like misslevania did, it worked!

Seriously, thank you for post! I was not successful with the wifi test script until i connected RST and CH_PD. I am good to go now!

Again, thank you for posting because i was close to giving up!

c0lby

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.