Raspberry PWM Servo hat python 3 library
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Raspberry PWM Servo hat python 3 library

by jesusjrobles on Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:28 am

I am a satisfied owner of your Servo HAT for the raspberry, but I have found that the python library for it seems to be downloadable only in a python 2 version.

As it is present, it is at least uncompatible due to usage of outdated "print" sentence for the debugging. I was thinking about trying to check and rewrite it, but strange you not offering a python 3 compatible version.

By now I am using it under python 2. but I am working in a projec in which I will need some extra functions offered by Python 3. And on the other side, due to the fact that Python 3 is supposed to be the "actual" version from some years now, I do not really understand the library stuck with a software that was supposed to pass to the "legacy" status 6 years ago. So I suspect the problem must my mistake not being able to find the right library.

Can so anybody help me?

jesusjrobles

Re: Raspberry PWM Servo hat python 3 library

by adafruit_support_mike on Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:10 am

We use Python2 because, at least for a long time, there was no Python3 module capable of handling I2C communication. The smbus module, used in Python2, used techniques that were deprecated in Python3.

We've heard a couple of people mention I2C support for Python3, but haven't seen enough demand to do a full-scale rewite on our Python libraries. If you know of a good I2C solution in Python3, by all means let us know about it.

adafruit_support_mike

by jesusjrobles on Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:07 am

Thanks a lot for your answer.

I am sure I am able to use Python 3 with some other devices supposed to be managed by I2C comm (remarkabily, the sense hat).

Never used the smbus library directly, but a simple five minutes google view show last messages asking about python 3 support in smbus are about 3-4 years old, and sooner than that you can even find questions about downgrading some existing i2c related libraries from python 3 to python 2.

A small sample: http://www.linuxcircle.com/2015/05/03/h ... -python-3/

¿What would you want me to check to confirm "a good I2C solution"?

jesusjrobles

by adafruit_support_mike on Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:42 pm

jesusjrobles wrote:¿What would you want me to check to confirm "a good I2C solution"?

Basically one that's used in enough RasPi Foundation and third-party code to warrant a project to rewrite our libraries, and which can coexist with the Python2 code we already have.

We have a hundred or so libraries that use Python I2C, plus associated tutorials that would have to be updated. Making the change would be a fairly large job. We also don't get many requests for Python3.. I think the last one I saw was about six months ago.

Beyond that, Open Source has a meaning. All our code is available on Github, and you're free to modify it with whatever Python3 I2C support you want.

adafruit_support_mike

by jesusjrobles on Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:44 am

adafruit_support_mike wrote:Beyond that, Open Source has a meaning. All our code is available on Github, and you're free to modify it with whatever Python3 I2C support you want.

That was my next option, sure. I simply found it strange to be the first one needing this.

A first sight over the code felt "not so complex" to adapt it. I will be returning the news if I am able to set it up working.

Thanks again for your attention :)

jesusjrobles

by jesusjrobles on Sun Mar 20, 2016 2:29 pm

I have checked... and found that it was as simple as it could be.

I already had installed the python 3 smbus module (that is placed in the standard repo, and thus I think it should be considered as official part of the system - it came from a simple "sudo apt-get install python3-smbus" command).

Checking it, it seems that all the functions and structures are similar to the original pyton 2 smbus module. Thus, it should no need to change anything on the smbus.SMBus() calls.

So I started by update the new changed sintax on the print calls adding parenthesys (in the debugging info printing), and the except sentences. About 20-30 line changes in Adafruit_I2C.py and Adafruit_PWM_Servo_Driver.py files.

And... voila!! everything working perfectly.

I have added the updated version of both files, if anybody wants them.
Attachments
pwm_servo_python3.zip
adafruit I2C and PWM Servo Driver .py files updated for python3 usage
(2.9 KiB) Downloaded 164 times

jesusjrobles

by adafruit_support_mike on Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:06 am

Glad to hear it worked for you, and thanks for posting the modifications!

adafruit_support_mike

by noob78 on Sat May 14, 2016 4:45 pm

Can anyone help me? I can't install the servo HAT library as shown in the tutorial on the adafruit website. The folder is empty apart from a document saying where has all the python code gone OWTTE. I have installed the following 'sudo pip install adafruit-pca9685' but I'm not sure if this is correct.

noob78

by franklin97355 on Sat May 14, 2016 11:01 pm

franklin97355

by noob78 on Sat May 21, 2016 2:24 am

Yes. I am following this tutorial. I have installed the library using pip with no example code. How can I find some example code to test if my servo works? Which directory does the code have to be in?

noob78

by franklin97355 on Sat May 21, 2016 3:47 am

franklin97355

by noob78 on Sat May 21, 2016 5:04 am

I have set up i2c and it works fine when I carry out i2cdetect -y 1. I have followed the tutorial to the letter. Hardware is fine. Library would only install using pip which means I am without example code. This is where I need help. I need code to run the servo.

noob78

by franklin97355 on Sat May 21, 2016 1:22 pm

did you get and run this code?
Code: Select all | TOGGLE FULL SIZE
git clone https://github.com/adafruit/Adafruit-Raspberry-Pi-Python-Code.git
cd Adafruit-Raspberry-Pi-Python-Code
cd Adafruit_PWM_Servo_Driver

franklin97355

by noob78 on Sat May 21, 2016 1:37 pm

As far as I can see this link is out of date where adafruit has moved it's libraries to a different location. So no, I cannot get this code as the link is out of date. On github it says that the location of the code has now moved.

noob78

by noob78 on Sat May 21, 2016 1:40 pm

See screenshot.
Attachments
adafruit github.png
adafruit github.png (193.82 KiB) Viewed 1023 times

noob78

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.