Version 2 of the PTC06 not responding

Breakout boards, sensors, other Adafruit kits, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
GeorgeAddison

Version 2 of the PTC06 not responding

Post by GeorgeAddison »

Hello,
We have used many of the PTC06 minature serial TTL JPEG cameras in a project before, these were all marked 'PTC06 V1.0'. The last order we made however, were marked PTC06 V2.0', and don't appear to work with the same commands. There are a few very slight differences to the PCB layout, but otherwise they seem almost identical to the V1.0. The VC0706 chip on the back is marked:
VIMICRO
VC0706PREB
SS0190B
on the version 1, that works.
On the version 2, it is marked:
VC0706PREB
SS0190B

I have tried the latest version of the library on github (last commit was on 10 Sept 2015). That simply says camera not found. The DSP tool and Python sketch fail similarly, but all work with the earlier version. I've tried playing around sending individual commands, if I transmit the reset command 0x76 0x00 0x26 0x00 0x00 to the older version, they behave as expected, and I receive a response. Of the 10 version 2 cameras I have tried, only one of them responds at all to the reset command, and then only if the power supply is cycled immediatly prior to issuing the command. Also the data it returns seems a bit dodgy, it prints VC0703 V1.00, which is different to what is written on the chip itself. OV7720, and it says 'No ctrl infr'. I don't know what that means. And this is the only camera that responds at all, although I have been messing with it for a long time, so I don't know if I have accidentally written a bit somewhere that triggered this, all the other cameras are silent.

If anyone can shed any light on this it would be most gratefully received, the previous version of the cameras are ideal for our application, but the version 2 is clearly not directly compatible with the previous software.

Thanks,

George

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Version 2 of the PTC06 not responding

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

Hmm.. I'll have someone take a look at the ones we have in stock and see what's up.

GeorgeAddison

Post by GeorgeAddison »

Thanks - have there been any developments on this?

George

adafruit_support_mike

Haven't heard anything yet. I'll nudgh a little.

GeorgeAddison

Post by GeorgeAddison »

Just another check to see if there is any news?

I have tested 60 of these cameras now, enough to suggest there's either a fault in the batch or the new version is not compatible with the old software.

George

adafruit_support_mike

If I don't hear anything in 24 hours I'll authorize a return and refund for all the cameras you've tested and found problems with.

Do check tomorrow during the day to see if the the folks from the hardware team have any information.

adafruit_support_mike

Okay: The QA team confirmed the error and has been talking to the supplier, but forgot to reply to me or here in the thread.

The error seems to be the default baudrate setting. Try connecting to the boards at 115200 and see if they respond.

We do have confirmation of a hardware problem, and can exchange the units if you want to though.

DRSDavidSoft

Post by DRSDavidSoft »

I have the same VIMICRO module, marked PTC06 v2.0, which uses VC0706PREB chip. I've tested mine with the DSP Comm Tool using all of the available baud rates, and I can confirm that the module doesn't even work with this tool.

I've tested with the provided wiring, have tried removing the Atmega Microcontroller from the board, tried using SoftSerial, and even bought a USB-UART break-out board (not from Adafruit) just to test this out. I even removed the voltage divider resistors, And yet, nothing works.

I have bought my modules from a reseller who imports them from Adafruits, and I'd pretty much prefer to get it to work rather than returning it and ask for a refund, because I need to use them in my project. Here's a picture of the one that I'm currently using.

Can any of the Adafruit supporters please verify that the product that you are selling actually works with a current Arduino/TTL setup?

adafruit_support_mike

We had one batch that were programmed incorrectly. Our QA team hand-tested our stock, all the incorrectly programmed ones were pulled, and they made sure all the boards authorized for sale did work as expected.

I don't know of any misprogrammed boards going to resellers, but can check with the folks in the business office.

In the meantime, post a photo showing your connections to the camera and we'll make sure those are correct.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Products from Adafruit”