Pigrrl Image and Button problem

Breakout boards, sensors, other Adafruit kits, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Mthompson239

Pigrrl Image and Button problem

Post by Mthompson239 »

Purchased the entire BOM here for the project. Wired it all up per the guide. Checked for 3v/5v on the header connector pin...all looks proper. Using the image linked in the guide. However, not all the buttons function. When I get loaded to the Retropie menu, I only have left d-pad and Start button functions. I am able to connect a keyboard to it and work proper...just not via the Pigrrl Gamepad. Not sure where to look to trouble shoot further.

Also, getting alot of static/feedback idle in Retropie menu...but that is kind of secondary to gamepad functioning as needed.

Much thanks

P.S I connected to the Pi via LAN and SSH but when I look at "sudo namo retrogame.c" it is empty...maybe wrong place to look at button config...sorry new to this.

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Pigrrl Image and Button problem

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

Post a photo showing your hardware and connections and we'll take a look. 800x600 images usually work best.

Mthompson239

Post by Mthompson239 »

adafruit_support_mike wrote:Post a photo showing your hardware and connections and we'll take a look. 800x600 images usually work best.
Thank you for the reply. Looks as if the button mapping was not configured for the game pad. Was able to attach a keyboard and then press gamepad buttons to assign. I thought that I noted that NES buttons were pre-configured in that PiGRRL image...maybe I misread that. Speaker noise is still present if you could provide assistance on that...it would be great. I read one comment on ThingiVerse about battery location is key for no static/feedback with audio...move it around a bit (project still external to 3d printed shell), no change. Remove the battery and noise still present. At the Retropie menu static is present, when in an actual game, I can hear the games audio events. I will post images shortly of my hardware.

Much thanks

P.S Now seeing this screen size in person..pretty small. Any supported methods to select a bigger screen? The 3d size of it wont be an issue for me.

adafruit_support_mike

Mthompson239 wrote:I read one comment on ThingiVerse about battery location is key for no static/feedback with audio...move it around a bit (project still external to 3d printed shell), no change. Remove the battery and noise still present.
If you still get noise while the battery is outside the PiGrrl, the battery probably isn't part of the problem. Double check your auido wiring to make sure all the joints are good and there are no intermittent or unexpected connections with other conductors in the system.
Mthompson239 wrote:P.S Now seeing this screen size in person..pretty small. Any supported methods to select a bigger screen? The 3d size of it wont be an issue for me.
Nope. That's the size you get.

Mthompson239

Post by Mthompson239 »

I meant any larger screens (short of a monitor) that are supported. This screen can be used for other projects.

Now question on my audio feedback issue: Short of gain on board and setting in retropie, is there any other audio controls? One of my Engineers said I should adjust the AVG or AVS gain...forgot which one he noted. Also to maybe reroute the power coming off the charger board to the amp and use straight from the game controller for powering the amp to isolate noise. He noted a few other possible work arounds but would like supported feedback before I go changing anything other than what was planned out in the guide.

Getting static in menu as well as in games. Game music is present...just along with feedback/background noise.

thanks

adafruit_support_mike

Mthompson239 wrote:I meant any larger screens (short of a monitor) that are supported. This screen can be used for other projects.
I don't think so, but will have to check with our retrogaming expert on that.
Mthompson239 wrote:Now question on my audio feedback issue: Short of gain on board and setting in retropie, is there any other audio controls?
No. Those are the only options.

Post a photo showing your hardware and connections and we'll take a look. 800x600 images usually work best.

pburgess

Post by pburgess »

Mthompson239 wrote:I meant any larger screens (short of a monitor) that are supported.
Any of the small HDMI displays should work, performance will be excellent since it's not using the GPIO bus and doesn't need fbcp. For example:
https://www.adafruit.com/products/2232
Would need a custom enclosure, since this is larger than the PiTFT. Here's one such example:
https://learn.adafruit.com/super-game-p ... e?view=all

Mthompson239

Post by Mthompson239 »

adafruit_support_mike wrote: Post a photo showing your hardware and connections and we'll take a look. 800x600 images usually work best.
Please find the attached.
20160720_092212.jpg
20160720_092212.jpg (68.67 KiB) Viewed 486 times
20160720_092155.jpg
20160720_092155.jpg (89.13 KiB) Viewed 486 times
20160720_092130.jpg
20160720_092130.jpg (65.74 KiB) Viewed 486 times
pburgess wrote:
Mthompson239 wrote:I meant any larger screens (short of a monitor) that are supported.
Any of the small HDMI displays should work, performance will be excellent since it's not using the GPIO bus and doesn't need fbcp. For example:
https://www.adafruit.com/products/2232
Would need a custom enclosure, since this is larger than the PiTFT. Here's one such example:
https://learn.adafruit.com/super-game-p ... e?view=all
Glad to hear other screens can be used. If using any other size, where might the file be to make the screen size changes? Might go with that 5" you posted. 3D printing a new enclosure would not be an issue; 10 3D printers and in Autodesk products daily.

Much thanks for the assistance on this project to get it wrapped up...son is itching for me to release to him.

Mthompson239

Post by Mthompson239 »

..more pics, please advise if any additional images are required.
20160720_092303.jpg
20160720_092303.jpg (123.53 KiB) Viewed 486 times
20160720_092228.jpg
20160720_092228.jpg (70.39 KiB) Viewed 486 times

Mthompson239

Post by Mthompson239 »

Any additional assistance would be great.

Thanks

Mthompson239

Post by Mthompson239 »

:(

pburgess

Post by pburgess »

Let's try to resolve one problem at a time.

The fact that some buttons work but others don't at least tells us that the 'retrogame' software (which remaps button inputs to fake keypresses) is running. If you're using the stock PiGRRL 2 image, and haven't made any changes to that code, then it should work natively with that button pad. If it's only partially working, that suggests some bad connections somewhere between the button and the header on the Pi. Two places this is most likely to happen:

- When shortening the GPIO cable and re-crimping the header. Very fussy about alignment. But it looks like you're currently still using the cable full-length and unmodified, yes?
- Soldering. Hard to say without seeing both sides of the button board up close, but it does look like some solder joints are better than others. Most of the connections I can see look pretty good, but there's a few where the solder forms a ball...what sometimes happens there is that it's not making a solid connection to the pad underneath, it's sort of floating on a layer of oxidation or crud.

Best way is to test each connection with a multimeter with a continuity beeper mode. If you don't have that, sometimes a makeshift thing with a red LED and single AA battery will do, if you have those parts around...anything that can help confirm between a given GPIO pin and GND when a corresponding button is pressed (or for testing from one end of the cable to the other).

Mthompson239

Post by Mthompson239 »

Yes, using Google the post PIgrrl image. Was able to map the game pad buttons..they were not all configured by default..no biggie but item marred as done.

Last issue is the noise/humming in audio.

pburgess

Post by pburgess »

Some things to try with regards to audio:

- Make wires between Pi and audio amp board as short as practical, given that these do eventually need to be folded up in a case.
- Experiment with volume settings on the amp board and in RetroPie to find the ideal balance, i.e...

1: Turn the trim pot on the audio board most of the way down. Turn the volume in RetroPie all the way up. (RetroPie -> Audio -> Mixer -> Up arrow & escape) Play some games and compare against...
2. Turn the trim pot most of the way up. Go back to RetroPie audio and turn the volume down. Play more games. Better? Worse?

A certain amount of hum is unavoidable (interference from things like the boost converter), but it should be possible to minimize by finding the optimal balance between Pi volume and amplifier gain.

Not sure what's up with the PiGRRL 2 image not picking up on the controls. We'll probably re-do that image at some point anyway, I'll double check that everything's being set up correctly.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Products from Adafruit”