Getting started with AVR programming

USB AVR Programmer and SPI interface. Adafruit's USBtinyISP.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
jfalesi

Getting started with AVR programming

Post by jfalesi »

Hi. I want to make cool stuff. In particular, I want to read motor and servo signals to activate LEDs on radio controlled cars. Here's my understanding of what I need to be able to do this:

1) A chip (AVR ATtiny13)
2) A target board (make it from Evil Mad Scientist's tutorial)
3) A programmer (USBtinyISP)
4) Some software to program it (from a windows machine)
a) WinAVR
b) AVRDude
c) Optionally, an IDE like AVRStudio
5) Coffee

Is my list sufficient?

Thanks!
-Jamie

Franklin97355

Re: Getting started with AVR programming

Post by Franklin97355 »

That's a good start.If you have limited experience in programming I would recommend you start with something like the Arduino Uno or Adafruit Metro while you are designing the project as it is easier to program and prototype with those.

jfalesi

Post by jfalesi »

I am not unfamiliar with programming in the sense of computer languages, but I have never programmed a chip before.

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

The compiler you choose should take care of most of the heavy lifting.

jfalesi

Post by jfalesi »

franklin97355 wrote:That's a good start.If you have limited experience in programming I would recommend you start with something like the Arduino Uno or Adafruit Metro while you are designing the project as it is easier to program and prototype with those.
Can you tell me more about why it would be easier to start with an Arduino Uno or Adafruit Metro? Would I use the same target board/programmer/software?

Thanks,
-Jamie

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

The Arduino and Mega have a computer based programmer that works over a USB port and there is a lot of code examples for them. That makes it easier while learning. Going the other route is also a viable option just not as well supported here.

jfalesi

Post by jfalesi »

franklin97355 wrote:The Arduino and Mega have a computer based programmer that works over a USB port and there is a lot of code examples for them. That makes it easier while learning. Going the other route is also a viable option just not as well supported here.
OK, so I wouldn't need to buy the programmer. Is there an Arduino kit you would recommend?

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

It depends on your needs and how much the kits contain that you can use for your project. Check out what we have available. https://www.adafruit.com/category/17

jfalesi

Post by jfalesi »

I guess I'm not sure which one to get. I'm tempted to get either the Experimentation kit or the Starter kit from Arduino.cc.

I'm interested mainly in LED, motor and servo control at this point, but I could see myself branching out eventually.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “USBtinyISP”