🔮Adafruit sale all weekend long – use the code ADATHX for 15% off! 🔮

AVRdude problems
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

AVRdude problems

by ALZulas on Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:27 am

I created a fun project using a Trinket Pro 3V, an accelerometer, and some lights. I then assembled, coded for, and tested the code on my Mac. Everything worked fine on my end. Tested and retested the code before sending the hardware to a friend. Even went so far as to have him download the Arduino package, and all the libraries, and made sure the code compiled on his end before sending him anything.

But of course, it gets there, and he connects to his Windows 10 machine, and we have AVRDude problems. Made sure he downloaded the drivers, still AVRdude. The errors read like this:
avrdude: error: could not find USB device with vid=0x16c0 pid=0x5dc vendor= 'www.fischl.de' product= 'USBasp'

So I thought it was a permissions thing. We got it to give us this just once:
avrdude: usbdev_open(): did not find any USB device "usb"

And then it returned to the original error.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

ALZulas

Re: AVRdude problems

by hiduino on Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:34 pm

He has the wrong Programmer type selected in the IDE. For the ProTrinket you should be selecting from the IDE -> Tools -> Programmer: -> USBtinyISP.

hiduino

by ALZulas on Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:34 pm

hiduino wrote:He has the wrong Programmer type selected in the IDE. For the ProTrinket you should be selecting from the IDE -> Tools -> Programmer: -> USBtinyISP.

I double checked the board and programmer he selected and read him exactly what he should have selected each time. So there's definitely something weird about Windows 10 going on here. Although, this is often the problem. But not this time.

ALZulas

by hiduino on Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:41 pm

ALZulas wrote:The errors read like this:
avrdude: error: could not find USB device with vid=0x16c0 pid=0x5dc vendor= 'www.fischl.de' product= 'USBasp'

This error definitely indicates that the wrong Programmer type 'USBasp' is selected. This should be 'USBtinyISP' which is different from 'USBasp'.

Also make sure he is pressing the 'reset' button on the ProTrinket to trigger the bootloader to run before the Upload. The timing on pressing the button can be a little tricky if the computer takes too long to compile the code before the bootloader times out.

hiduino

by ALZulas on Fri Sep 02, 2016 4:40 pm

Seems as though something went very wrong with the install on his Arduino software. He had other weird issues where the application would disappear from his desktop, pulling up .ino files with trash in them, or crashing when he opened the application. He pulled a fresh version off the AdaFruit website and reinstalled which fixed the problem! I'm thinking that maybe, because it was broken, it also wasn't registering any of the changes he selected for programmer or board and so it was throwing odd errors.

Thank you for your advice though! It convinced me to send him pictures of what the selections should look like so that in the future he can better do this on his own.

ALZulas

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.