🎁📬❄️📦 Holiday Shipping Deadlines are approaching! International customers and domestic ground - get your orders in 12/9/2020 📦❄️📬🎁

usbtiny rewriting device signature
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

usbtiny rewriting device signature

by Kent_Martens on Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:04 pm

I'm writing a sketch to an ATMEGA328pu chip with a usbtiny after first writing the Arduino UNO fuse settings to the chip. (I've developed the sketch on the Arduino IDE.) Strangely, the programmer is rewriting the device signature of the chip to 0x000000 from the proper 0x1E9514. Therefore, the usbtiny subsequently refuses to load anything else, not the sketch, not even fuses.

I've updated the avrdude I have to the latest I could find, 2010, to no avail.

I've written sketches to 328pu chips many times before and never had this problem. All thoughts, advice, ideas welcome.

Kent

Kent_Martens

Re: usbtiny rewriting device signature

by adafruit_support_rick on Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:26 am

Sounds like you're using an ancient version of avrdude. Current version is here:
http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/avrdude/
Arduino comes with version 6.0.1. You should at least be using that.

I don't believe it's possible to rewrite the signature bytes. You must have something else going on. Check your connections.

adafruit_support_rick

Re: usbtiny rewriting device signature

by Kent_Martens on Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:54 am

You're probably right saying it isn't possible to rewrite the device signature. I was told to switch to a 16MHz crystal or resonator on the board used for programming with the usbtiny and all would be good. It was. It's still a mystery to me, though. I had been using a 4 MHz resonator and it worked just fine for at least a year. Thanks for your reply.
Kent

Kent_Martens

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.