New USBTinyISP, won't connect: "Device Descriptor Request Fa

USB AVR Programmer and SPI interface. Adafruit's USBtinyISP.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
rspoering

New USBTinyISP, won't connect: "Device Descriptor Request Fa

Post by rspoering »

Hi Adafruit,

I just received my USBTinyISP kit today and built it up, but had a total fail plugging it in. I've attached the error message: "The last USB device you connected to this computer malfunctioned..." upon plugging it in. Device manager has it under unknown devices with the error "Device Descriptor Request Failed."
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (24.16 KiB) Viewed 1361 times
I tried this on a Surface Pro 4 (USB 3.0), a desktop PC (USB 2 and 3) and a Mac (USB 2). All of them see it as a broken device.

I get no LED. I tried the following:

- went back over all solder joints, double checked all components, did continuity and voltage spot checks, all seems ok. The board is powered. Photos attached of both sides:
IMG_1957.JPG
IMG_1957.JPG (763.81 KiB) Viewed 1361 times
IMG_1958.JPG
IMG_1958.JPG (792.13 KiB) Viewed 1361 times
- I probed the resonator with my oscilloscope but got no signal (inconclusive according to searches).

- tried multiple USB cables.

- tried manually installing drivers, from both "usbtiny_signed_8" and "adafruit_drivers" installers.

- searched the forums and Google to the best of my ability without finding other solutions.

Any ideas?

Many thanks for your assistance.

adafruit_support_rick

Re: New USBTinyISP, won't connect: "Device Descriptor Reques

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

Well, the build looks good. Possibly, you got an unprogrammed processor chip.
Please email [email protected] with a link to this post and ask them for a USBtinyISP processor chip:
https://www.adafruit.com/product/54

rspoering

Post by rspoering »

Thanks, will do!

rspoering

Post by rspoering »

Hi everyone,

Huge thanks to Adafruit, amazing service! They sent me out a new kit right away.

Unfortunately the new chip didn't work in the first board, and when I built up the new board it still gave the same errors, with either chip, on both of my machines.

I figured maybe Windows 10 was causing problems so I tried more extreme measures to get the drivers installed, including trying to write the drivers with Zadig. It seems clear that the device is not giving the computer the basic hello that it needs to be recognized (device descriptor request failed.)

I can't believe that I built the board wrong twice, or that I was sent bad chips twice. What options remain?

Thanks.

adafruit_support_rick

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

No green light means that there was no USB enumeration. Which is what you're seeing.
Two bad programmers is not likely, and your build on the first one looks good. You've tried different computers. That leaves the cables you're using. Or possibly it's some USB3.0 issue.

Can you try going through a USB2.0 hub?

rspoering

Post by rspoering »

I have tried 3 different USB cables and a USB 2.0 hub. The only difference with the hub is that it reports Unknown USB Device (Port Reset Failed) instead of (Device Descriptor Request Failed). Still no green light.

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

we don't know whats up but you probably just have systems that don't like bitbanged USB :) you can email support@adafruit for a refund but we don't recommend getting another kit...

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “USBtinyISP”