Trinket 5v Driver Issues
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Trinket 5v Driver Issues

by ctcollins9 on Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:09 pm

Hello everyone!

I recently purchased all of the parts to build the Breath of The Wild Guardian Sword++ from adafruit (https://learn.adafruit.com/breath-of-th ... d-printed/) I printed all off the pieces and am ready to install the electronics in the sword, but I cannot get my laptop to work with my adafruit trinket.

I followed the guide here: https://learn.adafruit.com/introducing-trinket to install the drivers, but my laptop running Windows 10 still says "USB Device Not Recognized" when it is plugged in.

Under device manager, it shows the trinket as, "Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed)" with a small yellow warning triangle next to it.

Anyone have an idea? I also tried to point windows directly to the drivers by selecting, "update driver software" and selecting the driver, but that was to no avail as well.

Any help would be appreciated!
Attachments
trinket.PNG
trinket.PNG (221.25 KiB) Viewed 421 times

ctcollins9

Re: Trinket 5v Driver Issues

by adafruit_support_carter on Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:12 pm

It could be related to using a USB3.0 port if this a newer machine. Try connecting through a USB 2.0 port or hub:
https://learn.adafruit.com/introducing- ... /faq#faq-3

adafruit_support_carter

by ctcollins9 on Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:30 pm

Turns out this isn't a driver issue, or atleast not only a driver issue. I have tested this on 4 PC's around the house now using several different USB cables (all of them are quality data cables) and it will not connect to any of them. They all have the correct drivers installed, and have USB 2.0 ports, and 1 runs Win 10, 2 of them run Win 8, and one of them runs Win 7. Again, I installed the drivers on EACH one hoping for a miracle, but appears I received some bad parts. I've done a lot of reading across the forum and it seems there is nothing I can do.

ctcollins9

by franklin97355 on Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:32 pm

OK, Please contact support@adafruit.com with a link to this topic and they will help you get a replacement Trinket.

franklin97355

by ctcollins9 on Sat Jul 01, 2017 2:37 am

Hello. I have received my replacement trinket, and I was able to connect it to my computer and upload the code from your BOTW guardian sword guide, but something is wrong. I spoke to some of my guys and they think something might be wrong with the lipo backpack. Basically, I have quadruple checked my wiring/soldering and even re-did it just to be sure, and it still doesn't work (as in, nothing comes on when I flip the switch). It does get some power via usb but the neopixels don't come on, so the adafruit trinket is not bad again. I was told the admins here could allow me to return my order for a refund, that would be appreciated at this point.

Thank you.

ctcollins9

by franklin97355 on Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:06 pm

Could you post large (less than 1meg), clear, detailed pictures of both sides of your board showing any soldering you have done and the connections to it?

franklin97355

by ctcollins9 on Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:26 pm

Absolutely. I am more than happy to. Please allow me some time to get to it, but it will be done soon.

ctcollins9

by ctcollins9 on Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:34 pm

franklin97355 wrote:Could you post large (less than 1meg), clear, detailed pictures of both sides of your board showing any soldering you have done and the connections to it?

My photos are too large to upload here, so I added them to dropbox right here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/35z0f0qxjdqm ... wYHQa?dl=0

Please look at them, thank you!

ctcollins9

by adafruit_support_rick on Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:14 am

You've cut the trace on the backpack, but I don't see a switch? Did you remove it for some reason?

Do you have a multimeter? Can you check for battery voltage between BAT and GND on the trinket?
Also check for battery voltage between power and GND on the NeoPixel strip

Do any of the LEDs on the trinket come on?

adafruit_support_rick

by ctcollins9 on Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:39 pm

adafruit_support_rick wrote:You've cut the trace on the backpack, but I don't see a switch? Did you remove it for some reason?

Do you have a multimeter? Can you check for battery voltage between BAT and GND on the trinket?
Also check for battery voltage between power and GND on the NeoPixel strip

Do any of the LEDs on the trinket come on?

I removed the switch to replace it with another one before I took the photo just to make sure it was not defective. Yes, I have a multimeter, do you want me to check when it is powered via USB or the battery?

ctcollins9

by adafruit_support_rick on Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:02 am

Well, can you test it both ways? Powered from USB or powered from battery?

adafruit_support_rick

by ctcollins9 on Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:00 pm

adafruit_support_rick wrote:Well, can you test it both ways? Powered from USB or powered from battery?

Via battery, nothing seems to come on. Via USB, the trinket lights up but that is all.

ctcollins9

by adafruit_support_rick on Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:48 am

Please email support@adafruit.com with a link to this post for a replacement lipo backpack

adafruit_support_rick

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.