Unable to enumerate USB device

USB AVR Programmer and SPI interface. Adafruit's USBtinyISP.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
areid_van

Unable to enumerate USB device

Post by areid_van »

Hi,

I bought a USBTinyISP kit from Digikey. I put it together but sadly the computer won't recognize the USB device. Both Linux and Windows (driver installed) recognize a USB device is connected, but it can't be enumerated. This is the output on Linux:

[55500.199859] usb 1-1-port2: Cannot enable. Maybe the USB cable is bad?
[55501.109864] usb 1-1-port2: Cannot enable. Maybe the USB cable is bad?
[55502.019896] usb 1-1-port2: Cannot enable. Maybe the USB cable is bad?
[55502.929847] usb 1-1-port2: Cannot enable. Maybe the USB cable is bad?
[55502.930186] usb 1-1-port2: unable to enumerate USB device

I pulled the microconroller chip out of the socket and built the circuit on a breadboard, but get the same results. Is it possible that my microconroller isn't pre-programmed? Any other suggestions for troubleshooting? I've checked my assembly work fairly carefully and can't see any mistakes or bad solder joints. I'm attaching photos of my assembled board
usbtinyisp1.jpg
usbtinyisp1.jpg (411.28 KiB) Viewed 1715 times
usbtinyisp2.jpg
usbtinyisp2.jpg (304.4 KiB) Viewed 1715 times
Any help is greatly appreciated!

russell 27

Re: Unable to enumerate USB device

Post by russell 27 »

There were a few others that had problems with Attiny2313 fuses and main program not flashed properly. If you don't have another programmer, hard to check status. If you scroll down several posts in this section you can take a look. Some other issues are also mentioned. If you connect chip to another programmer and can communicate without an external 12 MHz crystal, fuses are not correct.

areid_van

Post by areid_van »

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately I don't have another programmer, so not sure how I can debug. I'll read through the other posts for ideas. I had enough parts to build the circuit on a breadboard and it behaved exactly the same, so I'm suspicious of the controller.

I assume the USB device should be recognized even if I don't have a target device attached? I did try connecting an ATTiny85 but it didn't behave any differently.

russell 27

Post by russell 27 »

You don't need device attached for recognition.

russell 27

Post by russell 27 »

Take a look at THIS in particular.

areid_van

Post by areid_van »

Thanks, I'd found that post as well. Sounds like the exact same experience I've been having. I too broke down and ordered another programmed chip. I really hope the next one works!

russell 27

Post by russell 27 »

This is fuse settings and flash if you need for your chip. I have a few different types of this programmer and it's what I use. Once you get your replacement you can of course check the original.
flash.zip
(4.3 KiB) Downloaded 87 times

areid_van

Post by areid_van »

Got my new chip and it works great in the board I built, so it was definitely a problem with the original controller chip I got! Using the new chip I can see that the fuses on my original chip were certainly wrong.

Fuses: E:FF, H:9D, L:E4
md5(flash): 1a78369fa91963f32be4b3087ebf2ef1

That's the exact same fuses and flash as in this post. I guess there was a bad batch of chips.

Thanks for sending the correct flash along. I'll re-flash the original chip and I guess I'll have a spare programmer.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “USBtinyISP”