Error upon upload attempt to Metro with UsbTiny

USB AVR Programmer and SPI interface. Adafruit's USBtinyISP.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
sekramer10

Error upon upload attempt to Metro with UsbTiny

Post by sekramer10 »

I built the AF UsbTinyISP programmer and am attempting to program my first board from Arduino IDE, I have an Uno and a Metro with ISP headers. It gives the error:
avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 1 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x3a
From the IDE I select USBTinyISP as programmer, however it is looking for a port to upload to so I chose COM1. In Device manager I see the programmer listed under Atmel USB Devices as USbTiny and properties shows it working correctly. I have the power jumper on, the green led on the metro is on; green led on the programmer is on, but the red led does not turn on.

Can you help me get it working?

sekramer10

Re: Error upon upload attempt to Metro with UsbTiny

Post by sekramer10 »

FYI, running latest IDE, Windows 10 64 bit Pro. I tried without the 1.5k resistors, without the resistors, and with jumpers, and got the same error. I'd really appreciate you help.

russell 27

Post by russell 27 »

I don't use Arduino IDE much, but it looks like you need to set in tools >> programmer to use Usbtiny instead of stk500. This POST may be of some help with the details. If you don't want to use boot loader, you should be able to set to program with Usbtiny directly.

EDIT :
Are you using another file, MAKE file maybe, that is defining the wrong programer to use. Can you bring up avrdude directly in command line and communicate with Usbtiny?

sekramer10

Post by sekramer10 »

I have the standard Arduino IDE. I have several cores installed, including ATTINY CORE by SpenceKonde. This core included a programmer titled "USBTinyISP ATTINY CORE which I have previously used successfully with a sparkfun ATTiny85 programmer. Since this was working I think I don't need to have WinAVR but I did install it. That is my experience with ATTiny programming by USBTinyISP programmer.

I would like to now use the AF programmer as it is a better design. I tried to use the provided USBTinyISP programmer, as well as the ATTINY CORE USBTINYISP programmer options in the tools menu. Both give the same error.

I installed a different package of AVR tools from AVR-GCC 7.2.0 for Windows 32 and 64 bit http://blog.zakkemble.co.uk/avr-gcc-builds/ but it's in a separate directory. It also include AVRDUDE. I tried with it added to Windows path and without, same result.

Since I can program chips via USBTinyISP programmer option in the IDE using the SparkFun USBTiny programmer board I believe I should be able to use the AF programmer. Per the tutorial https://learn.adafruit.com/usbtinyisp/h ... ll#use-it/ when I give the AVRDUDE line command

Code: Select all

avrdude -c usbtiny -p m8 
I get the response that the programmer is connected to the PC but not to the chip as expected and the red led flashes briefly once. I think it's an IDE / AVRDUDE issue but not certain.

The AF device is listed in Device Manager and properties indicates it is working properly. The UNO and Metro are powered and light up when the 6 pin connector is attached. I installed the AF drivers again and same result. Any insight is appreciated.
Attachments
AF USBTinyISP Forum Post Device Manager.PNG
AF USBTinyISP Forum Post Device Manager.PNG (32.22 KiB) Viewed 1068 times

sekramer10

Post by sekramer10 »

Further information I also have AS7 and Eclipse installed I don't know if this causes a problem. I'd rather not have to uninstall these to check.

russell 27

Post by russell 27 »

You may want to have a look at the Arduino forum section for a solution. While I've been a long time user of the Usbtiny, including the Sparkfun Pocket Programmer (based on the adafruit design impliments), I don't use Development boards. I have not used windows 10. Have you chosen the metro board in the IDE.

One thing you could try to verify programmer communication from computer to chip, is to write FLASH.hex directly with AVRDUDE. Make sure all ISP connections are correct for chip. Find a program flash you want to write to chip, open terminal and change directory to that folder, or copy flash to a new folder and name that directory in terminal. Then use this command to write flash with AVRDUDE.

Code: Select all

avrdude -c usbtiny -p atmega328p -U flash:w:your_flash.hex
Change the values to the chip you are using and name of your flash, hit enter. If the programmer doesn't write flash there is a problem.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “USBtinyISP”