Stuck at make burn-fuse. HELP!!!

USB AVR Programmer and SPI interface. Adafruit's USBtinyISP.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Naliya

Stuck at make burn-fuse. HELP!!!

Post by Naliya »

Hi, have an ATtinyIsp question. I recently bought and assembled the kit. It responds to: avrdude -c usbtiny -p m8. Also to avrdude -c usbtiny -p ATtiny2313. I have an HP pavilion running Vista 32 with WinAVR-20100110.

So, I know it works. The kit responds. I also have a new IC2313 bought from DigiKey. Now, I want to "make burn-fuse," so that I can put some firmware on it. The driver works, as I mentioned above, but the computer must be blocking it somewhere? I was able to set fuses but not burn. *see command lines below. Now, I am not expert so don't be afraid to point out the obvious. I'm using an Evil Genius Dev board. Also, a burn fuse tutorial would help. Please and thank you. *smiles

Set fuses

avrdude -c usbtiny -p attiny2313 -U lfuse:w:0x64:m
avrdude -c usbtiny -p attiny2313 -U hfuse:w:0xdf:m
avrdude -c usbtiny -p attiny2313 -U efuse:w:0xff:m

Added a 12 crystal oscillater to flash a set chip.

Here's where I just miss something.

c:\make burn-fuse
avrdude -p attiny2313 -P com5 -c dasa -u -U lfuse:w:0xe4:m
avrdude: ser_open(): can't open device "com5": The system cannot find the file specified.

avrdude: serbb_setpin(): SetCommState() failed: The handle is invalid.

make: *** [burn-fuse] Error 1
I'm so close, does anyone know? I've tried all the com numbers, 1-9.

Sincerely,
Alan

russell 27

Re: Stuck at make burn-fuse. HELP!!!

Post by russell 27 »

When you run these commands:

avrdude -c usbtiny -p attiny2313 -U lfuse:w:0x64:m
avrdude -c usbtiny -p attiny2313 -U hfuse:w:0xdf:m
avrdude -c usbtiny -p attiny2313 -U efuse:w:0xff:m

You are directly communicating to avrdude to write the fuses, you could put this on one line and write all the fuses at once

avrdude -c usbtiny -p attiny2313 -u -U lfuse:w:0x64:m -u -U hfuse:w:0xdf:m -u -U efuse:w:0xff:m

To use the make command you need a Makefile, this is also used to compile your program and run numerous other commands. The makefile would need burn-fuse defined, running the same commands that you typed in manually for avrdude.
It's basically numerous predefined statements(shortcuts) that make runs when the correct make command is given.
Makefile.png
Makefile.png (124.92 KiB) Viewed 1018 times
In this make file example the command would be make fuses, which could be defined as burn-fuses. I've included a copy of this basic make file, you can change to suit your needs.
Makefile.zip
(2.54 KiB) Downloaded 89 times

Naliya

Post by Naliya »

Dear Russel 27,

Thank you for that make file, it worked! Make fuses. The simpler fuse setting code also worked too! You know I was pretty confused.
I thought the USBtinyIsp was the device that did the make burn-fuse. Your makefile.zip distracted me long enough to plug in my Prolific-PL2303 serial programer and try out the command line again anyway since I had made some progress. More of an act of desperation-but it worked!
That's right, then I remembered why I bought the USBTinyisp in the first place. It's a really cool product for starting out in electronics. No more IC555 and the turn a square wave into a sine wave. *smiles, I'm sure it's possible though. The 2313 provides hours of fun! I love this website, especially the fact that they keep old downloads and tutorials available years later. It's like Christmas.

You saved my Hobby-Sunday. Now I can finish my project and have fresh firmware ready IC' s on hand. Ahhh.

Thanks again,
Alan

russell 27

Post by russell 27 »

Great!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “USBtinyISP”