Pro Trinket 3v 812Mhz - Connecting and Disconnecting constan

USB AVR Programmer and SPI interface. Adafruit's USBtinyISP.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
JonnR

Pro Trinket 3v 812Mhz - Connecting and Disconnecting constan

Post by JonnR »

Hi,
As per the title I have a Pro Trinket 3v which is giving me trouble. The PC is continuously sounding the connect/disconnect tone (@10sec interval) and the red light on the unit is also continuously pulsing. I am using Windows 10 - board support loaded as per tutorial along with drivers. I have purchased a powered USB2 hub. Arduino is 1.8.5

Initially tried to upload a sketch and it failed. The error message is usually referencing avrdude. Mostly it says that it cannot locate the device. I have attached an error report.

Thought it was an issue with the sketch so tried to upload Blink. Now if I power the board, not using the USB, the red LED will blink as though the sketch has successfully been uploaded.

I've followed the instructions and re-programmed the bootloader which initially seemed to fix the connect/disconnect issue but failed when trying to upload a sketch.

Is there anything else I should be trying here? I've gone through a lot of threads which seem to end up with dead trinkets but can't help think I'm missing something!
Attachments
error.txt
(38.81 KiB) Downloaded 200 times

khorner116

Re: Pro Trinket 3v 812Mhz - Connecting and Disconnecting con

Post by khorner116 »

I'm having exactly the same problem with an Itsy Bitsy 5v 16mhz unit. It was working fine and now seems to be cycling in USB discovery mode on both a desktop and laptop machine.

JonnR

Post by JonnR »

Yes it's all very strange.
I've even tried a different PC and one running XP but the Trinkets behaviour remains the same. I've gone back to the retailer for advice and hopefully a refund. From reading other threads these things sound a little flaky but I'm only new to this so erring on the side of me doing something wrong!

khorner116

Post by khorner116 »

Other research leads me to think I (maybe we, but I don't want to jump too far) have a USB 3.0 problem. I'm going to sleuth out a USB 2.0 port on this computer and also get an old style USB 2.0 expander port box and try it. It could be the burst ID mode that USB 3.0 starts with is the issue. Should know in the next couple of days.,

khorner116

Post by khorner116 »

Well, I am sorry to say the experiment did not work. I located 2.0 USB connections and they exhibited the same cycling behavior, and I tried a 2.0 USB port expander-- same results. Unless I can get a workaround I think I'm declaring my Itsy experiment DOA and will go back to Teensys.

khorner116

Post by khorner116 »

John...

Did one more test.... tried another Itsy board. and it worked fine. must have blown my first one with a careless move of some kind. you may want to try a second version.

JonnR

Post by JonnR »

Thanks. I've contacted the seller and they are sending me another one so hopefully that works ok.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “USBtinyISP”