Trinket Pro Trellis Soundboard not working

USB AVR Programmer and SPI interface. Adafruit's USBtinyISP.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
shadowkenobi

Trinket Pro Trellis Soundboard not working

Post by shadowkenobi »

I am working on the portable trellis soundboard.

So when trying to upload the provided source code to the pro trinket i was having connection issues, not able to upload. The tinyusb was recognized in device manager, the bootloader lights were pulsing like in the demo video, I tried on the same version arduino IDE as in the video and photos in the tutorial and would get upload complete messages, the trinket always had a blink, so I dont know if the example blink sketch worked or not. Now, I have everything wired together, double /triple / 5x / 10x checked the wiring and the steps I get nothing from the parts. Everything powers on, the trellis sometimes lights up a few lights only, the speakers make a small crackle when I power on. When i press a button on the trellis it doesnt light up or trigger a sound. When i first turn everything on the pro trinket now flashes 3 really fast blinks, different from the pulsing and the slow blink every second that it was doing before.

shadowkenobi

Re: Trinket Pro Trellis Soundboard not working

Post by shadowkenobi »

Small update, got the FTDI cable in and was able to verify that the software was uploaded correctly onto the trinket. I copy and paste the code provided in the Trellis Soundboard tutorial, and upload it to the trinket. The serial monitor displays "Trellis Demo" "SFX board found" then will list the track names. When i hit a button on the trellis nothing happened. Would say "fail to play" "Stop" "Failed to stop" over and over again. No sounds. So i changed the baudrate of the serial.begin from (115200) to (9600) which matched what was written for the sound board. This helped a bit, now I can get the first button on the trellis to play a sound, stop the sound with another button press, and start it again. The LED on the trellis lights up properly as well. However if you press any other button other than the first it goes back through the "stop, failed to stop" loop.

erix_inc

Post by erix_inc »

This same thing happens to me. I am trying to build this project and the sound board will not cooperate!

shadowkenobi

Post by shadowkenobi »

erix_inc wrote:This same thing happens to me. I am trying to build this project and the sound board will not cooperate!
So, I was able to find someone else who wrote their own code after having the same problem and it worked for me in the end. All my wiring and hardware were correct and it just never took to the sample code that is given with the tutorial. They need to update this tutorial so that people who aren't as savvy at code still have a chance to tinker.

circumflex_sigma

Post by circumflex_sigma »

I've got the exact same issue! I ordered the equipment exactly as the blog thread used, i even ordered the 3D print via 3dhubs.com
So after soldering everything up according to the Trellis Sound Board blog, I uploaded the software correctly in the trinklet and OGG files in the Sound Board.
After that i ran in in to this strange issue; when i press a trellis button, it not always plays it; it plays after pressing it like 3 or 4 times, and after that it stops and will not play, then it after pressing it a random more times, it plays again. etc etc. So at first i thought it was a wiring issue, so i replaced ALL my wires and tested it, but still the same issue. it plays after pressing the trellis button random times. Also i tried different trellis buttons, but always the same result. I even purchased a huge looking glass an checked the lanes on the boards, but everything looks OK to me.

So i'm completely lost now. I see that shadowkenobi mentioned the custom code; do you have this custom code to share with me ? Or other tips to resolve this?

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

trinket pro is hard to use, can y'all try a Metro Mini or Fether board? then you'll get USB debugging!

circumflex_sigma

Post by circumflex_sigma »

adafruit2 wrote:trinket pro is hard to use, can y'all try a Metro Mini or Fether board? then you'll get USB debugging!
Hi adafruit2; that would be a great idea ; if you said this before we purchased the pro trinklet... i followed the blog article on learn.adafruit.com by the letter, and the letter told me to buy a pro trinklet. If it so much beter to buy a Metro Mini or a Fether board or even a ItsyBitsy; please adjust the blog article about the Trellis Sound Board.

That being said; I followed an advise on a otherthread and noticed the board behaved much much better; not perfect, but closer than it before.
I worked out a messy solution. 1. include the 30 ms delay until you don't get multiple sounds.. by a lot. 2. Comment out both or remove the trellis.clear(); lines ONLY in the Void Loop section. 3. Replace "filename" with "i" in the play line. CHANGE this line int ret = sfx.playTrack(filename); to int ret = sfx.playTrack(i); 4. Include this if you want the lights to cycle on and off after pressing.
Change this line:
trellis.setLED(i);

To this Line:
if (trellis.isLED(i))
trellis.clrLED(i);
else
trellis.setLED(i);
Kind of messy,
I later searched on GitHub.com and found a sample code of DJPBessems; a fellow dutchy that wrote his own code. After further searching, i found on Reddit.com a post of a similar nature; the reader uploaded DJPBEssems code and ta-da; an working trellis board.

So this tell's me 2 things;

1; the trellis code on the blog article of learn.adafruit.com is probably faulty; maybe it worked in the past, but the pro trinklet of today does'nt cope with it
2; the pro trinklet is working as it should; so no money out of the window here; just the code must be correct.

gewi

Post by gewi »

Hello!

I bought the portable trellis soundboard. built it and installed it completely. Arduino IDE with libraries and windows drivers. On win 7 and 10 with two usb cables no port was shown, so i cannot upload the sketch...

What can i do now???

Thank you for your help!
Markus

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “USBtinyISP”