I think there is an updated driver available (Win 7 & 64bit)

USB AVR Programmer and SPI interface. Adafruit's USBtinyISP.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
wayneft

I think there is an updated driver available (Win 7 & 64bit)

Post by wayneft »

I just purchased this kit and am having similar problems with Windows 7 as other users are also. As a disclaimer I want to say that I know nothing about how device drivers work but I did a quick search on the internet and found that there have been about 5 more updates to this driver since the release posted. http://sourceforge.net/projects/libusb-win32/files/

I tried downloading the latest driver and updating it but it kept telling me that I had the most up to date driver. I'm guessing that since this is kind of a generic open source driver that it wold need to be configured first for the particular device before it can be recognized. As a side note I looked through the changelog and it did say that the newest driver is now SIGNED, which would probably fix most of the problems out there. If anyone knows of how to configure these drivers and wants to pass along the settings I would more than happy to test it on my machine.

Wayne

adafruit

Re: I think there is an updated driver available

Post by adafruit »

great, we'll check this out?

ercook

Post by ercook »

Please do!

USBtinyISP has so much great press, it's really a shame that its DOA on Win 7.

XP is just too last-century anymore to be widely used. Sorry folks, I can't afford a Mac and Linux isn't quite there yet for general use.

Thanks in advance for enabling Win 7 and keep up the excellent work!

Regards,
Eric

PS. Let me know if you need a tester.

mbaseman

Post by mbaseman »

I just downloaded it but I'm still not having any luck.

Here's a related problem, that you may have already encountered :
I downloaded the driver to my desktop, and then downloaded the com port emulator - Com0Com. I checked to see which com ports were free, but when I tried to install it a pop-up says :
“The 32-bit driver cannot run under 64-bit system. Continue?”

I’ve tried ignoring the message and continuing the installation and I also tried running in compatibility mode, but when I type : install PortName=7 PortName=8
I receive the following :
“SetupDiCallClassInstalledERROR:0xE0000235”

Actually, I never even asked the most important question - can this device even work with a 64-bit system?

I am REALLY new to MCU hardware and programming, so I don't even know enough to ask the right questions, and I'm not exactly getting overwhelmed with support. Any help would be appreciated.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

mbaseman wrote:Actually, I never even asked the most important question - can this device even work with a 64-bit system?
search in the forums, some customer have had no issues, others found specific work arounds for their specific systems:
http://forums.adafruit.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=11221
mbaseman wrote:I am REALLY new to MCU hardware and programming, so I don't even know enough to ask the right questions, and I'm not exactly getting overwhelmed with support. Any help would be appreciated.
we are not sure "overwhelmed with support" means, but there are lots of folks here helping, we continually answer questions - while MCU hardware and programming is fun, it's also challenging and takes awhile to become an expert - there aren't any "wrong" questions - feel free to ask whatever is needed here in the forums.

-adafruit

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

but when I tried to install it a pop-up says :
“The 32-bit driver cannot run under 64-bit system. Continue?”
com0com has both 32 and 64 bit versions. You need to install the right one for your system.

support.flexradio.com/Downloads.aspx?id=218

mightyohm

Post by mightyohm »

This is from the sourceforge page for the libusb-win32 drivers (http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/libusb-win32/wiki)

"Vista/7 64 bit are supported from version 1.2.0.0 since a Microsoft KMCS accepted digital signature is embedded in the kernel driver libusb0.sys. libusb-win32 based device drivers can also be submitted for Microsoft WHQL testing. Several companies have successfully finished the WHQL testing with their libusb-win32 based driver package. This will allow the customers to install the driver without a warning under current 32bit/64bit Windows."

This is great news!!

I generated an .inf file for the USBTiny using the x86 inf-wizard.exe and libusb-win32 1.2.1.0. These drivers install and work properly on my Win7 x64 system.

There is still a warning about the publisher ("Windows can't verify the publisher of this driver software") but I can select "install this driver software anyway" and there are no warnings or fatal errors about digital signatures.

Finally, working x64 drivers for the USBTinyISP without any fooling around with DSEO / digital signatures! :D

wayneft, thanks for the push in the right direction that got me to figure out how to fix this. :)
Attachments
usbtinyisp_libusb-win32_1.2.1.0.zip
(225.83 KiB) Downloaded 1751 times

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

yayayayay

PLEASE TRY THIS OUT! if all is good we will put this on the downloads page :)

wayneft

Re: I think there is an updated driver available (Win 7 & 64bit)

Post by wayneft »

wayneft, thanks for the push in the right direction that got me to figure out how to fix this.
Happy to help...

I downloaded the zipfile and used Update Driver from Device Manager and was able to update the driver. I then tested it by burning the bootloader through the Arduino IDE and it worked fine with no errors.

If you're going to post this zip file as the driver it might be best to first have someone test it out on a "clean machine" because you never know what other properties could have been changed while people were "monkeying" around with their system trying to get the previous driver to work. Just my two cents....

Wayne

mightyohm

Post by mightyohm »

My machine was clean - I just installed Windows 7 yesterday. Thats about as clean as it gets. :D

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

thx. we'll get some more datapoints hopefully!

schnee72

Post by schnee72 »

I tested it here and it works properly, thanks for the fix!

alexgeek

Post by alexgeek »

Am I supposed to run the 64-bit installer or point the Update Driver Wizard somewhere?
The installer gives the error:

Code: Select all

could not open pipe for writing: errcode 2

mightyohm

Post by mightyohm »

I opened device manager, selected update driver, and pointed windows to the directory containing the new drivers.

alexgeek

Post by alexgeek »

mightyohm wrote:I opened device manager, selected update driver, and pointed windows to the directory containing the new drivers.
Ahh worked a charm, lagged for a while and I thought it wouldn't work but got there in the end.
Cheers :)

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “USBtinyISP”