Trinket - install drivers??

USB AVR Programmer and SPI interface. Adafruit's USBtinyISP.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
NewellTech

Re: Trinket - install drivers??

Post by NewellTech »

I am having the exact same problem. When I try to run the installer_x64 driver, the "Unknown publisher" dialog pops up. I hit OK and the console window appears briefly and then disappears. I don't show any evidence of this USB port in the Device Manager. I've tried this as both admin and reg user.
I've tried it with the Trinket plugged in or not. There is no activity when I plug or unplug the USB cable.
I've tried it with a USB hub and direct connect.
The red led has never blinked. It comes on for about 4-5 secs then turns off. I assume this is the bootloader timing out trying to find a USB connection and then jumping to the app.
I'm using Win7, 64bit
Help!

adafruit_support_rick

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

Do you see the Trinket in Device Manager?
Have you tried some different USB cables and ports?

NewellTech

Post by NewellTech »

Thanks for the response. You are right, it was the USB hub not working.

Audentes

Post by Audentes »

I am running Windows 7 Pro x64. My Pro Trinket 5v does not trigger the New Hardware dialog. I have tried to run the driver install and received a brief DOS window open and close. TinyUSB doesn't show anywhere. I have rebooted my PC, warm and cold, multiple times when trying to get the Pro Trinket to work.

Another odd thing about the Pro Trinket is that the bootloader never times out. The red light flashes for as long as I leave the Pro Trinket plugged in.

So, I unplug it. I also purchased an AudioFX board when I purchased my Pro Trinket. So I plug in the Audio FX board. It gets recognized, loads drivers and works. So my cable and port are good. After loading files onto it and testing it I unplug it. Then I tested it for non-PC functioning and it passed (unplugged from the PC, of course).

So after the Audio FX success, I plug in my Pro Trinket one last time before coming here to ask for help. Windows saw it. But failed to load the drivers. However, in Device Manager I could see it, disabled because of the driver failure. I right-clicked, selected Update Drivers, Browse and went to my download folder where the drivers were. Success!

A very strange sequence of events to some people, but not to me. I am posting this to help others that may be in a similar situation. Even if you don't have an Audio FX board from Adafruit, try plugging in a new USB device. A USB thumb drive that is of a different brand than you had before, for example. Or try plugging in a current device into a different USB port on your PC. I think Windows sometimes gets hung up on USB devices and fails to continue. Changing devices can solve the issue (I've had this happen with other USB devices when Windows fails to recognize and/or install drivers).

Good luck!

lhundley

Post by lhundley »

I have a similar issue. I have a 3v trinket. I've installed the latest drivers and am running Arduino IDE 1.6.11. When I point it to the drivers I see it show up as attached (a
USBtiny under libusb-32 devices ). Note, NOT a USBtiny ISP. Running windows 7.

I see no serial port in arduino ide.
Attachments
device manager.PNG
device manager.PNG (2.96 KiB) Viewed 823 times

adafruit_support_rick

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

USBTiny is correct.

There is no serial port on the trinket, so it won't show up as a serial port in Arduino.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “USBtinyISP”