ProTrinket Problems

USB AVR Programmer and SPI interface. Adafruit's USBtinyISP.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
adafruit_support_rick

Re: ProTrinket Problems

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

What does the Pro Trinket show up as in Device Manager?

chasirish

Post by chasirish »

[quote="Virgil_Machine"]I have the same problem, same message. 3V Pro Trinket delivered yesterday.
/quote]
Mine is the 5v version. Try changing the blink code's timing. Mine worked at first, but after changing the timing, it gave the same error.

Virgil_Machine

Post by Virgil_Machine »

USBTiny

Blink works---it uploaded successfully twice--the only 2 times it has uploaded. Changing the timing won't help if I can't upload, but I know it's working.

adafruit_support_rick

And you're getting the rc=-1 error? Or are you getting "expected 4, got -5" errors?

You've got the driver installed, so there's no point in reinstalling that anymore.

Are you sure the red LED is still pulsing when the upload actually starts?

Virgil_Machine

Post by Virgil_Machine »

I'm getting the message that was posted by OP

Virgil_Machine

Post by Virgil_Machine »

You've got the driver installed, so there's no point in reinstalling that anymore.
Actually, since the device disappears from device manager, and can't be found, and at other times shows up with the yellow triangle/exclamation point, I need to remove it and reinstall until it shows up as working properly--which of course it doesn't.

Something is wrong. It may be me, but I have no clue what it is.

chasirish

Post by chasirish »

My driver's installed correctly and I'm still getting the error

adafruit_support_rick

Virgil_Machine wrote:I'm getting the message that was posted by OP
Have you tried a different USB cable, different USB port? Also try connecting through a self-powered hub.

Virgil_Machine

Post by Virgil_Machine »

Have you tried a different USB cable, different USB port? Also try connecting through a self-powered hub.
Different cable, different port--no change. Self-powered hub--I have one, but I have to look for a cable to connect it to the PC. I'll only do that if you explain why that should make a difference...or are you guessing? Do you have other examples where symptoms were similar to ours were solved by a powered hub?

adafruit_support_rick

We've seen problems with USB3.0 ports with Gemma and Trinket. In general, though, the hub changes the timing, and this appears to be either a timing or a connection problem.

Virgil_Machine

Post by Virgil_Machine »

Thank you. I realized after my last post that I sounded cranky--I apologize..

This is a ProTrinket on USB 2.0 not a gemma or trinket on USB 3.0.

I have 3V and 5V ProTrinkets coming today. I'll try those. I'll let you know if the powered hub works once I figure out where I repurposed the USB A/A cable.

FYI, my UNO and Pro Mini have no problems connecting to the IDE on this computer.

Virgil_Machine

Post by Virgil_Machine »

Found a cable for the powered hub. Windows does not even recognize that new hardware is attached.

Tonight I'll fire up a Windows 7 machine and try that.

Sounds like a product problem

adafruit_support_rick

The Pro Trinket uses a similar bootloader to the Trinket and Gemma.

And, yes, I am guessing. ;) You and chasirish have the only problem like this that I've seen.

Virgil_Machine

Post by Virgil_Machine »

I'm ready to call this a product problem.

I received a new Pro Trinket this afternoon. It functions the same way as the other one, Windows 8.1 and Windows 7 machines. Multiple cables and ports. Not recognized through the powered USB hub on either machine.

I was able to upload Blink once (and only once) I changed the timing, and the execution showed that--so I know it worked. I have not been able to upload anything else. Device recognition is flaky to say the least: sometimes not recognized, sometimes shown as not functioning, sometimes the driver won't install, sometimes when I press reset the device disappears and I have to reconnect the USB cable an least twice to get it back.

Another user has the same problem.

Unless you have a solution, I need a refund for 3 Pro Trinkets. This is really BANNED.

Virgil_Machine

Post by Virgil_Machine »

OK. My Windows 8.1 machine is a dual boot with Ubuntu 12.04. So, I booted into Ubuntu and it works there.

I have not tried the 5V yet, but at least 1 of the 3Vs works. (This was a pain, because I have not been using this machine for Arduino development--had to download the IDE, and some additional libraries. But I got it to work.)

So, it appears that Adafruit has a problem with Pro Trinkets on Windows 8.1 and Windows 7, at least. This may be limited to certain hardware. The Win8.1 machine is an self built with an AMD dual-core 64-bit machine (because it's dual-boot, that's the same as the Ubuntu). The Win7 is an older Lenovo with an Intel dual-core 64-bit processor.

True, only 2 people have reported this problem, but the ProTrinket is fairly new and was out of stock for a while. I suggest that you to some thorough testing on Windows.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “USBtinyISP”