USB Driver Install frustrations

USB AVR Programmer and SPI interface. Adafruit's USBtinyISP.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
vertamps

USB Driver Install frustrations

Post by vertamps »

1/2 hr to build, 3 hours trying the get Windows 7 64bit to recognize this Adafruit USB tiny programmer, had i known this was gonna be this hard i would have bought an different brand AVR programmer from Digikey,

I have turned off automatic driver install, but it installs a windows driver anyway just to be able to even see the device being USB. I am able to attempt to install the USBtiny.inf file from the 64bit download but windows does not recognize the .inf file as being 64bit.
I am trying to find new ways for windows to recognize it with windows updates , this project has already turn into not being worth it. Could it have been just a bad design/ programmed drivers in the first place? I will continue trying to get windows 7 to recognize it as USBtiny in the device manager. If i cant get it to work in another hr or two i will just buy Atmels programmer or continue using my Arduino UNO as an ISP with AVR dude which works perfectly, i just wanted a stand alone programmer. Mayby i should have just used my Ardunio as one and put in a black box with a 6 pin cable coming out of it.

vertamps

Re: USB Driver Install frustrations

Post by vertamps »

Still at this point >
AVRhell.jpg
AVRhell.jpg (133.9 KiB) Viewed 2152 times

vertamps

Post by vertamps »

DAMNIT. I got ripped off thinking this product would work. Iv tried every USBtiny.inf driver install file i could find, custom installed the libusb0.dll and .sys files, nothing!

Who releases a product based on requiring 3rd party software/drivers for it with flaky work arounds to get it a 32bit driver to work on a 64bit system? . I wasted 6 hrs trying to get this garbage working, pissed, stolen from.

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

OK, email [email protected] with a link to this thread for a refund.

vertamps

Post by vertamps »

I want to return with news of a moddified and now function Adafruit USBtinyISP just incase others have this unsolved issue and want to try it. I ended up reloading the 2.0 hexfile onto the supplied Attiny2313 (through my arduino as an ISP/avrisp), it still wouldnt work, no green light or USB recognition/ID.

I removed the supplied 47ohm data line resistors R1+R2 and replaced them with 18 ohm resistors, the green LED lit up and the chip could finally now communicate with the computer and work with AVR dude. I apologize for how harsh i was, i was pretty frustrated with the amount of time iv spent working to get the kit to function.
The ceramic oscillator is also oscillating at 11.899Mhz instead of 12Mhz, i dont know if this has something to do with it and or why the data resistor value change made it work.

hink

Post by hink »

I am facing the same challenges: Win 7 Pro Home on a Dell AMD-hearted machine. Got AVRdude replaced, and Trinket (5V) listed/selected on USB devices. Tried several times to plug in Trinket or reset (red LED blinks, then off with greed LED constant), then Win 7 tries and fails to load driver, so I right-click and point at USBtinyISP folder (w/subfolders), then the .inf file isn't recognized as a driver. Win 7 seems to be the problem, and though I like to solder, am not keen on modifying Trinket resistors vertamps' fix. Operations as listed here to manually select the driver http://www.adafruit.com/downloads/usbtiny_signed_8.zip do not work since:
Win 7 doesn't offer "Install" on right click from within Device Manager,
the Update Driver button yields a "no driver found" in the folder error after saying I will select the file and Have Disk, and
Win 7 says there is "no driver loaded" for the Unknown Device.

Suggestions?

Pete_I

Post by Pete_I »

I'm having the same problem. Am I supposed to run something to install the driver? I get the following error when I try to update the driver:
Windows was unable to install your Trinket.
Windows could not find driver software for your device.

It's also odd that it sees that it's a Trinket and not a usbtiny. My system is a Windows 7 on an HP with an AMD A10-5700 APU.

hink

Post by hink »

[quote="hink"]I am facing the same challenges: Win 7 Pro Home on a Dell AMD-hearted machine. Got AVRdude replaced, and Trinket (5V) listed/selected on USB devices. Tried several times to plug in Trinket or reset (red LED blinks, then off with greed LED constant), then Win 7 tries and fails to load driver, so I right-click and point at USBtinyISP folder (w/subfolders), then the .inf file isn't recognized as a driver. Win 7 seems to be the problem, and though I like to solder, am not keen on modifying Trinket resistors vertamps' fix. Operations as listed here to manually select the driver http://www.adafruit.com/downloads/usbtiny_signed_8.zip do not work since:
Win 7 doesn't offer "Install" on right click from within Device Manager,
the Update Driver button yields a "no driver found" in the folder error after saying I will select the file and Have Disk, and
Win 7 says there is "no driver loaded" for the Unknown Device.

Suggestions?

Anyone out there? Must I threaten to send it back like vertemps?

I've kept trying, using the Win 8 signed drivers and the Win 7 drivers in three different subdirs. . .same results:
default 2006 Win USB driver installed by default, uninstalling it from device driver & re-plugging Tirnket does no good,
Win doesn't see any driver in the unzip subdir when trying to update driver,
device driver details gives "no driver installed" error.

adafruit_support_rick

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

@Pete_I, @Hink:
Are you following the instructions here?
https://learn.adafruit.com/usbtinyisp/drivers

Did you unzip the driver folder after you downloaded it?

Pete_I

Post by Pete_I »

yes, i did and i still have the same errors that hink has.

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

this is really weird because I've never heard of this before and the USBtiny is fairly old and while my current computer isn't AMD, the previous one used to develop USB tiny was

we'll see if we can locate a win7 64 AMD machine around here. for now, not sure what it is, AMD's are completely x86 compatible, there should be no difference (!)

hink

Post by hink »

Thanks for the reply. To respond to the unzipping question, I downloaded the driver package and *from the browser unzip plug-in* sent it to a destination folder. Afterward there are a few files, including usbtinyisb.inf and subfolders for AMD and a few others in the destination folder. Is this adequately unzipped?

Does it make a difference that I do not save the zip archive first, then unpack outside the browser?

The crux seems to be that Win7 auto-installs the default USB driver when the Trinket is plugged in, and then I try to correct that with Device Manager and point it at the unzip destination (either through "have disk" or folder) Win7 doesn't see a file it recognizes as a driver? The choices Win7 have presented that I've tried for the unknown device are to show driver details (results=default USB driver MS 2006); update driver (results=can't see drivers), uninstall device (results=auto-install USB default when plugged back in). The "rt-click on device/pick install" option in the USBtinyISB instructions is not available (or I haven't found it)

adafruit_support_rick

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

OK. Uninstall the driver. When you get the New Hardware Wizard that tries to install the default USB driver, cancel out of that. Don't let it install anything.

Next, open the Device Manager and look for the Trinket in the devices list. It will probably be under 'Unknown Devices".

Right-click on 'Trinket' and select 'Update Driver Software'. Choose the option to browse the computer for the driver. Navigate to the folder that contains the .inf file.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “USBtinyISP”