USBtinyISP not recognized by USB

USB AVR Programmer and SPI interface. Adafruit's USBtinyISP.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
mistereli

USBtinyISP not recognized by USB

Post by mistereli »

Hello all, shout out to this great site and SpokePOV!

I soldered all the connections thoroughly but when I plug the USBtiny into my USB port there is no detection for drivers by Windows and the green LED does not light up on the board.

I have already reviewed my soldering points and used a multimeter to verify that only one pin of the USB connector is recieving +5V and there is continuity between most of the solder pads on the board.

I'm pretty stumped now, my only guess is that a bad component could be breaking the circuit. See pictures below:

Front

Back

adafruit_support_rick

Re: USBtinyISP not recognized by USB

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

The picture is kind of fuzzy, but most of your solder joints look like cold joints. They mostly look like a spherical blob of solder on the pin. On many of them, it's possible to see the solder pad underneath the blob.

You want your solder joints to look like this:
The should be smooth and shiny with a concave section. Reheat all of your solder joints, *making sure* to heat the *pad* as well as the pin. The solder should flow completely over the pad and up the pin.

We have a nice tutorial on soldering here:
https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-gui ... ring/tools

mistereli

Post by mistereli »

Thank you for the reply Rick, some of the solder points were a bit messy so I went through and re-seated every pad on the board but unfortunately had the same results (no LEDs, no windows recognition, reading +5V from one USB pin).

I also tested each PCB trace for continuity and verified the values of the resistors.

Unless you have any other diagnostic suggestions, I'm afraid a chip or component is malfunctioning and the device is non-repairable.

Would it be possible for adafruit to send a replacement kit? I can return this assembled board for examination if you'd like to try your luck.

adafruit_support_rick

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

Please email [email protected] with a link to this thread for a replacement kit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “USBtinyISP”