Unreliable USBtinyISP programming: avrdude verification err

USB AVR Programmer and SPI interface. Adafruit's USBtinyISP.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
jsbuggy1

Re: Unreliable USBtinyISP programming: avrdude verification

Post by jsbuggy1 »

One other thing I found while testing last night...

I can navigate to the folder within the Arduino directory that contains avrdude.exe and use the command line to perform any task without error. This suggests that avrdude is working properly but is possibly not being configured correctly when the Arduino IDE prepares the arguments passed to it.

Is there a way to create a .hex file from the Arduino IDE and then use the command line avrdude to program the chip?

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

Here is an article on the Arduino build process http://arduino.cc/en/Hacking/BuildProcess

dwwolfe

Post by dwwolfe »

It sounds like you're making more progress than I did. I'm not familiar with running avrdude directly, it's not in my windows path so perhaps it installs separately? I eventually decided that using a few percent of the memory for a bootloader was an easy way to get around the whole problem. My sketches aren't running at the maximum memory size anyway. I would definitely be interested in hearing about any solutions you end up finding. Everything keeps pointing toward the latest versions of Arduino doing something differently because I've directly programmed my 328 hundreds of times without a single problem until recently

jsbuggy1

Post by jsbuggy1 »

I think I see why I am not getting a direct answer from Adafruit. I just re-read everything Adafruit has on their site regarding the USBtinyISP.
In all of the reading, there is no mention of using the Arduino IDE to program an Arduino using the USBtinyISP. It only mentions how to use avrdude to do it. I was making the assumption that since the Arduino IDE uses avrdude to prepare the files to burn onto the Arduino that it was one in the same.

I believe the problem I am having is to do with how the IDE prepares the arguments to send to avrdude telling it how to program the chip.

If I use avrdude (buried deep in the Arduino installation directory) to program the chip, I don't get a single error. However, I am choosing all of the configuration options for avrdude. If I program through the Arduino IDE, the IDE chooses all of the configuration bits to send to avrdude.

Adafruit, does this sound correct?

I bought the USBtinyISP to be able to use the Arduino programming language and the Arduino IDE to program minimal Arduino circuits using the ICSP port.

Adafruit, does this functionality exist and is it supported by Adafruit with the kit I purchased from Adafruit.com?

Matth1187

Post by Matth1187 »

I know this old but I run to same exact issue with usbtinyisp I just purchased.
Latest ide 1.6.2
I get tons verification errors uploading code or boot loader using ide, one or two times it works but 99% time it fails with verification error and random symptoms (using led to test blink and fade) but I copy the command ide supposedly using and works flawlessly from command line.Something with ide causes this.

I also have avrdude package installed from source forge perhaps command line using that version of avrdude (due to being in path env variable) vs one included with ide. I will kee poking.

Any solutions?

EDIT:
I started a new thread and found a workaround/solution, sorry for digging up the past!
http://forums.adafruit.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=91586

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “USBtinyISP”