Pro Trinket Bootloader Problem

USB AVR Programmer and SPI interface. Adafruit's USBtinyISP.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
WillDriessen

Pro Trinket Bootloader Problem

Post by WillDriessen »

Hello-
I just bought a 5V 16MHz Pro Trinket and I was very excited. So I unpackaged it, downloaded the correct IDE, changed the board and programmer settings(Pro Trinket 5V USB, USBtinyISP). Everything seemed to be in order, then I grabbed a proven correct Micro-Usb cable and plugged in my Pro Trinket(I have a Macbook OSX 10.6.8 with the 1.0.5 IDE). When I plugged in the trinket and pressed the bootloader button, instead of the nice pulsing bootloader LED I was expecting, I got a green power LED and a red LED blinking twice then off for a second on a loop. Then I tried pressing the button and uploading the basic Blink code but I got the error- avrdude: Error: Could not find USBtiny device (0x1781/0xc9f)[/color]. So then I tried using a new port, a new cord, a powered USB 2.0 hub, and nothing seems to be working. I am very lost and don't know what to do. I don't know if it is my computer or if I just missed something.

Thanks for all the help in advance, it means a lot.

~~Will

jchaltinner

Re: Pro Trinket Bootloader Problem

Post by jchaltinner »

Exact same thing is currently happening to me. Trinket Pro 5v out of the box today. Instead of a pulse, it is a triple flash (very fast, had to use iPhone slow-mo to count the flashes), without about a 1 second pause. Reset has no effect, nor does adding a usb hub, I even "successfully" reprogrammed the bootloader per adafruit instructions, and no change. Help please!

Thanks,
JC

adafruit_support_rick

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

You can both email [email protected] with a link to this thread for a replacement Pro Trinket

WillDriessen

Post by WillDriessen »

Will we need to ship back our old ones?

WillDriessen

Post by WillDriessen »

Also, does soldering void warranty of a device from adafruit?

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

nope!
try another thing, this might be a 'noisy' RX pin
https://learn.adafruit.com/introducing- ... /faq#faq-4
try connecting a ~10K resistor from RX to the 3V or 5V pin

WillDriessen

Post by WillDriessen »

Thanks for the help, but that didn't work for me. So I am going to just order another. By the way, are all devices from adafruit tested before they leave the factory?

adafruit_support_rick

We'll replace it. Please email [email protected] with a link to this thread for a replacement

daveonet

Post by daveonet »

I was having intermittent issues after pressing the reset button. Sometimes it would take two or three attempts to get into bootloader mode.

The resistor trick fixed it! Works perfect every time now :)

Francisko77

Post by Francisko77 »

adafruit_support_rick wrote:We'll replace it. Please email [email protected] with a link to this thread for a replacement
I'm with the same issue in a Pro Trinket it is stuck in boot mode with a group of 3 rapid flashes stopped by a one long flash, what should I do?

adafruit_support_rick

That sounds like a problem with USB communications. Make sure you are not using a charge only USB cable. Try some different USB cables and usb ports on your computer. Also, try connecting through a USB 2.0 hub.

What kind of computer are you using?

Francisko77

Post by Francisko77 »

I'm using a Mac With a Hub 2.0 and a cable already tested with a mini Metro.

adafruit_support_rick

Hmmm...

Do you have some other USB ports on your Mac? If so, try those.

If it still doesn't work, Please email [email protected] with a link to this post for a replacement Pro Trinket.

I kind of don't think that this is a problem with the Pro Trinket, so a replacement may not make any difference, but let's try it anyway. Some computers just have a problem with Pro Trinkets. If you have another computer, you might try it there...

Ronfinlay

Post by Ronfinlay »

I bought 2 trinket pro 5V. I can't get them to do anything. All I get via Micro USB is the green LED is on solid, and the red flashes twice in succession. I am getter error uploading sketch. Totally new to adruino with great hopes. I got my uno to work fine, but this little one is giving me challenges I don't understand. I'm on a MacBook Pro, Sierra, Arduino IDE is 1.8.1. Thanks

adafruit_support_rick

The flashing red light indicates a problem with the USB connection. Since it's happening the same way on two different trinkets, it's probably a problem with the USB cable. Do have a different USB cable? You may be using a charge-only cable. See if you have a cable that you can use to sync a phone or kindle or something like that.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “USBtinyISP”